Forum_index » Anime Series Discussion Forum » Monster
Caution Spoilers: End of Monster Discussion
Moderators: AnimeNfo Forum Moderator
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Posts_count  
NS (#30392)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Caution Spoilers: End of Monster Discussion

Well I just finished the series and I do have a few questions... The last episode I believe is 74 basically Tenma says to johan while he is in the hospital bed that he found out his name. I don't think he ever says his name but insteads goes to one of johans flashbacks which was really disturbing.. I know that nina/anna Fortners real name is like Frauline Nina Fortner and it's bothering me that i don't know who Johan is =/

The next question i have is who exactly was the monster? In the final flashback is shows the mother holding on to both of her children before they take one off for experiments.. Johan then says in tenma's dream like space out thingy that he questions what his mother was thinking and if he even cared about him... It was definetly something that I didn't understand and I am wondering if the Mother of the twins was the monster... Anymore clarification on that would be a lot of help. Thanks

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message AIM    Back_to_top 
vicious (#32847)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

I've read the manga like a year ago, I was bit confused too. I thought that they meant that the mother was the monster because of what she did to "Johan". Can't remember clearly though, I guess I'll reread the manga.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email MSNM    Back_to_top 
Arilou (#34809)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Personally I was, sort of, disappointed.

I had expected the show to be more about what a monster is, and how you can *beocme* a monster. (I fully expected either Tenma or Lunge to turn into a monster at the end, Tenma while trying to stop another monster and Lunge due to excessive abedience to the Law)

Instead it felt kind of.... Meh? Somehow it felt like a huge cop-out. And it had the typical horror-ending.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message MSNM 
NS (#30392)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Yeah, I guess i can see where your coming from but like it might of become a really corn anime after something turned into a monster. The really cool part of the anime was definetly when the drunken dad was like "OMG IT'S A MONSTER!!!" when Johan had his boy and about to kill him. It was also interesting when after he described Johan has like a tentacle like demon. That's about as realistic as it would of gotten for anything to deal with monster. The horror of the anime was how it screwed around with your mind and you never knew what was going to happen or who was who or why things were happening. I was very happy with how the producer made it so intense and so realistic with no corniness. The music was great too. One of my favorite animes since a while.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message AIM    Back_to_top 
moonchild (#125377)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Please someone explain this to me
Last monster episode

I just finished watching monster. Obviously it is a psychological drama/ mystery. It's great but something was confusing. I don't understand the revelation about johan's being taken away since the previous episodes revealed that Anna's memory -- which i assume to be as real as Johan's showed that Franz Bonaparte already had a change of heart. He fell in love with the twin's mother. So how come he still went to their house to take one of them away for another experiment which i assume he knows is ungodly and just after he had killed all those people to let anna escape. What the hell happened??? Question

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message    Back_to_top 
Avalanche (#92065)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Re: Please someone explain this to me
Last monster episode

moonchild (#125377) :
I just finished watching monster. Obviously it is a psychological drama/ mystery. It's great but something was confusing. I don't understand the revelation about johan's being taken away since the previous episodes revealed that Anna's memory -- which i assume to be as real as Johan's showed that Franz Bonaparte already had a change of heart. He fell in love with the twin's mother. So how come he still went to their house to take one of them away for another experiment which i assume he knows is ungodly and just after he had killed all those people to let anna escape. What the hell happened??? Question

Anna/Nina's memory shows us that it was her, not Johan who was taken for the 'pyschological testing'. Johan simply hears what Nina says and assumes that it was he who went through all that torture. Franz Bonaparte visited the mother more than once (IIRC) and finally succeeded in getting one of them (actually Nina) for his testing. In the end, there was just one experiment. Not two.

I just remembered the ending again. It made me sick the first time I saw it - distrubing to see such actions taken by a mother. I don't feel so good right now either.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email YIM    Back_to_top 
statcookie (#130239)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Episode 74: The Real Monster

The real monster was obviously the mother because she loved one of her children more than the other.

And this is what has tortured johan the most and turned him into a monster(he was killing people before he came to kinderheim), you can see it in his eyes that he looks tortured and confused all the time.

And I think that the title of this last episode refers to the mother of twins because in this episode she is introduced for the first time in person (in previous episodes she appears only as a memory).
Also in this episode we find out about her decision, and I think that this decision was the real experiment. She shouldn't have chosen one of the twins to go and one to stay. But she did and it meant that they weren't equal to her. Johan was aware of that and it drove him insane.

So mother is the real monster because lives of her children were so unequal to her that she threw one of them away, and having such a mother ruins johan's sense of morality, because if their lives are not equal then people's lives are not equal. However, if they are equal then his mother is a monster having made such a decision. For johan it is easier to believe that lives are not equal than to acknowledge that his own mother is a true monster. So he commits all the murders and bad things to justify his mother's behavior and to forget that she is the monster.

PostPosted: 
Stan Marsh (#132438)
AnimeNfo Peasant

i just finished the series and i was hoping I wouldnt be this confused after 74 episodes, but i did love the series and even the ending.
nice comments about the mother. obviously they dont intend to make the circumstances of Johan/Anna's chlidhood, and the subsequent motivation for Johan's actions perfectly clear (is the reason nina did not become a monster because she didn't remember her mother making that choice?). But I find one thing troubling.
After Tenma is found innocent, wouldn't everyone want to hold Johan responsible for his crimes? Wouldn't it be clear, with Lunge's and others' testimony, that he was responsible for so many deaths? And if so, wouldn't he been under extremely high security in the hospital? Im not sure how everyone can be so nonchalant about having "the devil" on the mend and not keep him under lock and key?? am I missing something?

PostPosted: 
Stan Marsh (#132438)
AnimeNfo Peasant

addendum: i also thought they would talk about Tenma's childhood/parents before the series ended. the only thing i ever remember them saying about this is that noone knew about his childhood. Did they ever talk about this further?

PostPosted: 
sonia88 (#141520)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Monster Clarification :)

After completing the Monster anime, just like most of the people here, i googled like crazy to find an answer to the unanswered twists.
There was a question i came across repeatedly people askng, i.e, Why was johan dressed up a little girl?
Well, if u remember the time when Tenma was inquiring about the mother and her twins in the Three Frogs, the old man said there were never twins, it was just a mother and a child. The mom dressed Johan up a girl to avoid detection by the Czech secret police after running away from them, but sadly, it did not work out.
One more thing, the reason Johan went bonkers and killed all those middle aged couples was probably because when he saw his mother choosing one over the other, he stopped trusting everyone and killed them before they could inflict such pain to him...wat do u people think? I kept thinking what the reason could be and came up with this..
In one of the ending eps, nina was scared tht johan would remember one particular horrible memory .. what was it? His mom choosing them?
Was the experiment about destroying emotions? What was Johans big plan? What did he want to accomplish by the perfect suicide? And how did the kids read Franz nonapartas books? Did they attend any of his book readings in the red rose mansion?
Kindly help!! I am losing sleep over this one!

PostPosted: 
Lomedin (#192512)
AnimeNfo Peasant

No, that's not a name...
Clarifying

:
I know that nina/anna Fortners real name is like Frauline Nina Fortner

I couldn't help it but creating a profile simply to let you know that FRAULINE is no name, but the german for MISS...

Thanks Neutral
Look at the world and the atrocities your kind commits. Now look at yourself and tell me that there's no blood in your hands, that your happy life of ignorance and self-importance is any better than those who feed on torture and death.
And, then, have the courage to look into my eyes and tell me that you don't deserve to die.

PostPosted: 
Display_posts:   Sort_by:   
 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Forum_index » Anime Series Discussion Forum » Monster
Jump_to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot