AnimeNfo
 AnimeNfo Forums 

Current_time

Forum_index » AnimeNfo Feedback
What changes would you like to see in Animenfo 2.0?
Moderators: AnimeNfo Forum Moderator
Post_new_topic   Topic_locked View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Posts_count   Goto_page: 1, 2, 3 Next
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

What changes would you like to see in Animenfo 2.0?

Now you have a perfect change to affect on what features AnimeNfo 2.0 will have. Note that the development of the new system has just recently started, so don't expect any beta of it soon

The things we're already going to do:
- Revive the manga database (top100, proper search which includes manga match, etc.)
- Anime Match will be in Anime Search (easier to find)
- Ditch phpBB2 & use SMF
- Moving to postgreSQL from mySQL
- (Heavily) Moderated Wiki. Yes, you read it correctly. (of course it will have various limitations like general daily submit limit to make the job of moderators easier).
- Multilingual Animenfo (in English/Japanese/German/French/Swedish/Finnish/Korean/etc.). Only the character descriptions, episode guides and anime/manga descriptions have to have multilingual info (other info can be identical in all languages, such as number of episodes)
- RSS Feeds
- Community Calendar to mark dates of things like convention dates

Our ideas: (a big thanks to ota in these ideas)
- Include sponsor links to "Buy this item at" on lookup pages
- Make the site accessable to people with disabilities
- Frontpage poll
- Site theme templates
- Maybe a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly newsletter
- For reviews, have 3 or so people sign off pass or fail before making it live

More:
- i-mode, for browsing animenfo with cell phone

So bring it on your thoughts/ideas etc. etc.

EDIT: It seems that editing this post will remove it from global announcements.

My Little Wallpaper - MLP: FiM wallpapers | brony.fi - a Finnish brony community

PostPosted: 
Edited_times_total
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website    Back_to_top 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

We might be holding a public meeting on IRC in a few weeks, depending on how things go. The general public is welcome as well as forum users. The purpose of this meeting is to determine:

o What you would like to see added to AnimeNfo / AnimeNfo forums
o What you would like to see gone from AnimeNfo / Animenfo forums
o Any extra tidbits/technologies you would like to see that you would think benefit AnimeNfo in the future

As I said we -might-, so nothing confirmed as of yet. If there is one, I'll post meeting details on the forum.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message    Back_to_top 
nauXolo (#69311)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

Unless this is necessary for funds, why? Most 'buy this item' are dvds right? Other products available in america are shatty. I'm firmly against this one.

Like what?

- Frontpage poll

Sounds fun

- Site theme templates

Hmm... there's no need, it'll look like a circus.

Not really a good idea for a database site.

- Gain support from other anime communities across the globe

??? Easier said than done

I really don't like this idea. There's potential for abuse here.

- Implement some account limiter so people can't create more than a certain amount of accounts per IP

If there is a problem with this, then yeah go for it

- i just woke up, so i'll think of some ideas myself later

505 random anime thoughts
90 random manga thoughts
My Website: Mysteries of Evangelion

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
zitch (#80114)
AnimeNfo Description Editor

Interesting. My comments:

*shrug* Really have no opinions. Neutral.

Filling www standards so that the blind can browse the site is always a noble standard to strive for. Also can be helpful for people with muscular-skeletal disabilities. For.

- Frontpage poll

Polls can be fun, yup. For.

- Site theme templates

Though this can be abused and annoying, having templating systems makes it nearly trivial to update the look of the page for certain events, such as holidays and such, or simply for changes to the look of the site. For.

Eh, neutral. Though I disagree with naux above that this is a "database" site. I find it more as a community site.

- Gain support from other anime communities across the globe

Always a good thing. For.

Need more specifics. Like "who" would be doing the signing off on reviews?

- Implement some account limiter so people can't create more than a certain amount of accounts per IP

If needed, though I'm not fully sure if this will help much, especially with people on dynamic IP systems. And it might lock out people who didn't do any such account spamming that ended up on an account-locked IP address. Neutral.

-Other Ideas:

I'd like something done about the bigger "What are you <something> now?", like the massive "What are you watching now?" topic. It seems some of these could be moved off into their own forums. In the past, I even suggested a blog-type system for some of these so it's easier to respond to specific posts and gets a bit cluttered up in there.

Though even if that was setup, I'm not sure if I'd use it myself mainly because I've already gone through the trouble of setting up my own blog site.. Wink

ADD: Actually, I take that back. I really don't talk about what I'm currently watching on my anime weblog that much anyways, so I actually might make use of a blogging system here...

List of my reviews.
My Anime Weblog Site.

PostPosted: 
Edited_time_total
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM MSNM 
supers (#18821)
AnimeNfo Site Administrator

Made it a sticky.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message MSNM    Back_to_top 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

My two cents on the issues as well Smile Glad to see some changes coming to Animenfo.

:

That's a good idea in terms of showing where to buy certain series, but might be somewhat difficult to implement

:

Agreed, definitely will make the site more accessible and adaptable for those individuals. I thinking along the same lines as zitch, though it might be harder to cater to those who may have some mental disabilities.

:
- Frontpage poll

Agreed. Always good to get feedback from the larger community Wink

:
- Site theme templates

Not a bad idea if you're going along the same ideas as the Animenfo Radio site design choices. Might be harder to implement on the main site, but for the forums, seems fine. Agreed.

:
Gain support from other anime communities across the globe

Fellow anime supporters united, oh yeah. Smile Definitely agree, though it means questions of who, when, and how.

:

Nice idea: might even have some of the regular members of the forums contribute articles or updates (i.e. recently licensed series, updates to the site, changes coming in the future, acquired sponsors, etc.). I think of us as a community as well, so I don't have a problem with it.

:

That means a bigger responsibility to our review moderators, maybe even the need for more of them than simply the ones now...I can see this becoming a problem on some measures because with the number of submitted reviews per day, it might mean for a backed up system. However, might actually be what the current mods do in reverse: instead of deleting bad reviews, they put up only the ones that get approved.

All in all, I don't mind that system at all as long as it can be checked very closely. Might even need to have an email functioning system to where reviewers can know whether their reviews were approved or not and why.

So, verdict: agreed with hesitation.

Ah, for the record, I really, really like zitch's idea of the personal blog system. Not sure how it would be implemented, yet, but I'll throw some ideas if I can think of any with regards to that.

I'll attend an IRC meeting if you're having it to put more ideas on the table, just let me know when.

"I am not sure why I am so attracted to roses...but roses are romantic. Just like the flower, my music is on the borderline between reality and escapism"
-Rie Fu

Reviews
Remember to read the Rules and FAQ.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM MSNM 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

supers (#18821) :
Made it a sticky.
Thanks ^^

rosepetals19 (#42525) :
My two cents on the issues as well Smile Glad to see some changes coming to Animenfo.

:

That's a good idea in terms of showing where to buy certain series, but might be somewhat difficult to implement
Not if we can get the sponsors to put the links themselves (dunno if they want to do that, but it's worth to try).

Don't know why nauXolo is so against it, since it's not like the link will make his life miserable Razz And not all think that US releases suck, and it will help the new people to find stores where to buy anime.

rosepetals19 (#42525) :
:
- Site theme templates

Not a bad idea if you're going along the same ideas as the Animenfo Radio site design choices. Might be harder to implement on the main site, but for the forums, seems fine. Agreed.
Well, we need to make the themes similiar to forums and the rest of the site. And use same theme names. But it shouldn't be hard if made properly.

rosepetals19 (#42525) :
:
Gain support from other anime communities across the globe

Fellow anime supporters united, oh yeah. Smile Definitely agree, though it means questions of who, when, and how.
Of course getting support from many anime communities is hard, but nothings stops us from trying.

rosepetals19 (#42525) :
:

That means a bigger responsibility to our review moderators, maybe even the need for more of them than simply the ones now...I can see this becoming a problem on some measures because with the number of submitted reviews per day, it might mean for a backed up system. However, might actually be what the current mods do in reverse: instead of deleting bad reviews, they put up only the ones that get approved.
There is just few problems. If we want 3 review moderators to check it, we don't have enough staff for it. If we want 3 normal users check it, there's potential for abuse like nauXolo said.

My Little Wallpaper - MLP: FiM wallpapers | brony.fi - a Finnish brony community

PostPosted: 
Kyuu Eturautti (#22411)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Thanks to a certain someone poking about this on IRC, I decided to toss in a few comments on a more basic level.

The proposed technical updates seem good. But the best technology is the kind that isn't obvious to users. Thus they seem like decisions that the people actually maintaining the services should make. You should choose what you want to use, as it's pretty obvious basic features are nearly the same to the majority of all users, whatever you should choose.

However, I feel that technical decisions and policy decisions do not necessarily go hand in hand. There's no problem making changes on both fronts at the same time, it may be a smart choice, but the decision making process is quite different. And so, I'm going to toss in my two cents on the latter part of proposed changes, based on this topic and some IRC discussions.

I've used Animenfo as a useful little tool for a long time and in my opinion, it's mostly done that job quite well (insert applause here). But it's always had a somewhat "insider style" for it. It's not the easiest or most obvious place to start for many users and obviously there are some elements that potential sponsors may not like. The layout could perhaps also use an alternate design as the current one is a bit complex for a first timer - though it is effective in many ways once you know how.

Now those are not problems, they're decisions and opinions. They're also indicative of the age of this site. Fansubs are viewed very differently (often more negatively) nowadays compared to what they were say 5 or 10 years ago.

The basic choice is about the target audience. Is AnimeNfo best targeted towards the inside part of the anime scene, or towards the outside, the new people? Either can really work, this is something that just should be decided in my opinion. The former will allow for more freedoms whereas the latter has the potential of growing the site even further and perhaps attracting some more sponsors.

Personally, I'd like to see an alternative to ANN in many ways. For example, I strongly dislike their erratic views on the international part of the anime industry and scene. Their technical functionality is also less than stellar - plus I -REALLY- hate sites with too many too pushy ad banners. It's good as an anime NEWS network, but it doesn't really serve the international community.

Which brings me to one of the points which I find difficult to choose on - international features. I worked on two somewhat similar community projects earlier, the IRC networks QuakeNet and GameSurge. With both, we made the decision to start translating parts of the content to various languages. Some parts worked really well whereas others simply did not, due to various reasons. The major two points are keeping the content actively maintained and necessity.

Let's take some basic geographical points here, based on my experience. People here in Finland and for example Sweden can read basic English enough well to manage. People of similar ages in Germany have far more problems and let's not even start with France. In my opinion, for most languages an international "startup page" would be sufficient. Have some basic rules and information, links to content that interests locals (convention list maybe) and simple info like that. For some other languages more translation may be a good idea and have more use.

Making AND UPKEEPING translations is a load of work. It also tends to get highly boring, even if you'd get paid for it which isn't the case here I believe. The very real risk is that you'll have for example rules that are updated in English but are very old versions in another language, leading to obvious problems. Or depending on the technical setup, you may have some pages with partially translated content. And of course, you might have done hours of work and end up realizing that most visitors from that country prefer English language content instead of their local option.

As a disclaimer, I need to add that this is just one viewpoint that came to my mind. My basic thought was that AnimeNfo, as a very much community driven site, could serve that community even more. However you should change or not, I feel quite confident that it'll remain a regularly visited site for me. Even so, I doubt that making even large scale policy changes would take much away from the history and "spirit" of AnimeNfo. Good luck.

EDIT: As for review moderation, perhaps you could borrow a page or two from Slashdot's book. Community based moderation with metamoderation might not be a bad idea here.

PostPosted: 
masahiko (#35136)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Now, only URLs of official web sites are registered, but it is better if members can post URLs to promotion video, the Internet radio site, and other materials like “Related Material” function of the current system.

They must be moderated because people will post the link to illegal materials, also, it is necessary to check if the link is alive regularly.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email MSNM    Back_to_top 
hero2043 (#67078)
AnimeNfo Peasant

make text in dutch lol

PostPosted: 
nauXolo (#69311)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

Although I might have been against it before, I like the idea of blogs - although it should be somewhat of an earned privilege and not a basic 'right' you can sign up for immediately.

I think we should have a more interactive community where you can interact more. Although I've never been to GAIA, I like the idea of contributing and getting stuff back similar to minitokyo. Some sort of point earning-system that can be added to the main NFO site. Something like picture uploading/sharing, review writing, fanfic contributions, etc... which all can be somehow accessed through the future-meta-wiki page of each anime.

I am against 'buy it now' stuff (unless it raises much needed funds) because it is promoting something that might not be necessarily good or cheap, and NFO may be held accountable for it. For example, what if you link to a place that sometimes offers bootlegs or let's say you offer links to legitimate sites, but their prices are MUCH higher than other sites. Even though it could be 'their fault' for clicking on it, it really isn't a good idea to put links related to specific series. Too much shopping around is needed to find the best alternatives. This is different than mere advertising because it links to whole sites, rather than specific products.

Back to the issue of 3 people passing or failing it, akin to what anidb uses... I suppose if only review mods are doing it, or responsible qualified people - then it is okay. But at anidb, I think just about anyone can say yes or no to any review. But I guess that putting some sort of entrance barrier is fine, as long as people are qualified

90 random manga thoughts

PostPosted: 
Luther (#82867)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

My say towards suggested ideas by the staff:

Considering how the site's history experienced a finance crisis, probably a good idea. And may I suggest a disclaimer about NFO not being liable for any problems you buy by the sponsors.

I'm in the middle point in this feature. Having a user-friendly site is good, but I think the staff would be wasting resources in this.

- Frontpage poll

Like back in the Nforadio site? Sure, why not?

- Site theme templates

Again like the one in the radio site? Uuh, I'm indifferent about it, being templates complementing on anothers' taste.

Looks good on paper, but how are we suppose to find the staff dedicated enough to even do this. And there's not much to be said about current events in anime unless you counted licensing, new shows, which is already there in the database to begin with.

Depends. You probably would want to make that an acquired privilege to avoid idiots like the others have said.

Suggestion of my own:

This is more on aesthetics, but would it be possible to change the menus in the sidebar? Make it more flash-based with interactivity. It'll make the site a lot more livelier.

Kinpatsu FTW!!!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email YIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

Luther (#82867) :
My say towards suggested ideas by the staff:

This is more on aesthetics, but would it be possible to change the menus in the sidebar? Make it more flash-based with interactivity. It'll make the site a lot more livelier.
I myself am completely against that one... it would look nice, but it would be extra xxx kb for users to load the site.

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Flash is a nice idea, but it's not user friendly and I forsee problems and complaints in terms of loading times.

A point value system: I see problems with that, and disagree with it depending on the way it's approached. Simply having a system where one is cognizant of taking actions to earn set number of points has the potential for abuse and we don't really want Animenfo to be a cluttered mess of people who want the "+1 post count" as I've learned from a few members' jargon here. (Much to my utter and complete chagrin Laughing)

While the potential for abuse is evident in any situation, I've found that the point value systems in most sites I've been a part of (including Minitokyo in the past) have lead to problems with abuse, in massive amounts and flaming pretenses. I also don't want Animenfo to become a site that's about earning points, nor lose its sense of personified unity, at least in the sense of partaking in certain actions in order to get more points and more privileges only to turn around and milk the system. That's one point that I'm dead serious about. Yet, I think it's clear that it's something we all don't want.

Yet, it may be necessary to implement *some* form of a point system, but it would be wise not to say what members can do to earn points/privileges, just have it as a "contribute to the community" deal, and make it known that responsible actions will get you privileges.

I used to be a part of a web graphics design site/forum where they implemented certain actions (posting reviews/tutorials, contributing designs and other factors) earns points and status ranks. Unlike Minitokyo, the site also had negative point valued systems: needless spamming, flaming, abuse of system privileges, failure to abide by rules would mean retraction of a good portion, if not all of the points/privileges earned, depending on the action and the severity of it. Unfortunately, the site is no longer available so I have no idea how they imposed the system in technical terms. That could work, but it's quite high mantenance, and I don't know the technical work that could go into that.

"I am not sure why I am so attracted to roses...but roses are romantic. Just like the flower, my music is on the borderline between reality and escapism"
-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

flash sucks.

totally against a flash-influenced site.

flash is horrible in terms of loading time and doesn't look so hot sometimes, depending on what browser you're using. Sticking to basic CSS and xhtml and maybe javascript is better.

PostPosted: 
Kashimir (#96548)
AnimeNfo Peasant

:
Revive the manga database (top100, proper search which includes manga match, etc.)

Even though this is "anime"nfo.. i really think you shuold put some efford into manga section.. top100 sound interesting, but the biggest flaw the size of the manga-database.. Many, even popular, manga titles cannot be found in Animenfo... manga database is truly in need of reviving.

PostPosted: 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

Re: AnimeNfo 2.0, what changes comparing to the old system?

Kashimir (#96548) :
:
Revive the manga database (top100, proper search which includes manga match, etc.)

Even though this is "anime"nfo.. i really think you shuold put some efford into manga section.. top100 sound interesting, but the biggest flaw the size of the manga-database.. Many, even popular, manga titles cannot be found in Animenfo... manga database is truly in need of reviving.
Um...
SharkMa-san (#4400) :
- (Heavily) Moderated Wiki. Yes, you read it correctly. (of course it will have various limitations like general daily submit limit to make the job of moderators easier).
This is also part of the plan of reviving the manga database. Anime and Manga databases will be on that wiki system.

nauXolo (#69311) :
I think we should have a more interactive community where you can interact more. Although I've never been to GAIA, I like the idea of contributing and getting stuff back similar to minitokyo. Some sort of point earning-system that can be added to the main NFO site. Something like picture uploading/sharing, review writing, fanfic contributions, etc... which all can be somehow accessed through the future-meta-wiki page of each anime.
I definitely don't want to turn this place a second Gaia, at least.
rosepetals19 (#42525) :
That could work, but it's quite high mantenance, and I don't know the technical work that could go into that.
Yes, as the idea sounds good "on paper". It's a lot of work to maintain. And the amount of work will already be greatly increased with the wiki system itself.

masahiko (#35136) :
Now, only URLs of official web sites are registered, but it is better if members can post URLs to promotion video, the Internet radio site, and other materials like “Related Material” function of the current system.

They must be moderated because people will post the link to illegal materials, also, it is necessary to check if the link is alive regularly.
Indeed. Maybe an automated checker for checking if the link is alive.

PostPosted: 
nauXolo (#69311)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

Hum... I guess what I mentioned specifically is not a good idea. But I think an interactive community would generate more consistent traffic? As long as people can accumulate some sort of ANYTHING, they'll be psychologically addicted.

These points can be 'respect points', i suppose.. and not just submitting points. Perhaps they can only be given by other people... and if you have enough of them, it signifies that they're contributing a lot of positive things - and perhaps if there is a future implementation of blogs - then they can earn the blog rights, or something.

90 random manga thoughts

PostPosted: 
Annûniel (#90354)
AnimeNfo Description Editor

Re: Points System.

The Lord of the Rings site I go to uses the point system and it does in fact seem to help the site more than hinder it. It involves submitting articles and art pieces and the like to the site to recieve points from the admins.

The biggest problem I see with it is that the site has smaller community "Realms" since the site is so large. And earning points for yourself also helps earn points for your Realm. Every three months the site admins determine who has the most points (which everyone can check the whole time) and they are the "reigning champion" for the next three months. This seems to lead to insane competitions that involve hoarding points until jsut before the deadline to get an unexpected sudden jump in the number of points.

The only problem with not telling people how to earn points would lead to people constantly emailing the admins asking them how to earn points.

My Anime Blog
My Book Blog
I like our party better. The dress code is easier and I know all the steps.
I want your Wii Stick!
It'll be an adventure!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
masahiko (#35136)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Uh… First of all, the system needs to be robust.
I couldn’t access to AnimeNfo for a long time today although there wasn't any announcement in advance.

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

masahiko (#35136) :
I couldn’t access to AnimeNfo for a long time today although there wasn't any announcement in advance.

I concurr; I did receive a critical error trying to access the forums and the database yesterday. I think that in part might be due to the phpbb system and how it fails from time to time.

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
Rad (#23749)
AnimeNfo Peasant

:

I can tell you that such mechanisms are slow and still quite arbitrary from the point of users and very time consuming for moderators - even for things that can be quite clearly categorized into "good" and "bad".

I'd however recommend you to improve the posting guidelines a bit (with examples and such); that's never wrong.

:
Make the site accessable to people with disabilities

That'd means a lot less text and links, w3c conformance and no popups, as far as I can tell. Sounds like a lot of work to me, and only so many people will benefit a little from it. Indeed, you're actually not half bad in this regard already, as my little experiments with fully text based browsers showed. If that works, even fully blind people or manually disabled people who can operate a computer can use your page.

Of course, if you implement site theme templates, you surely could also make a very plain one to ease some things for less disabled people who don't have to use specialized soft- or hardware just yet.

Congrats on the things you already decided, these features sound great!

PostPosted: 
Luther (#82867)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

rosepetals19 (#42525) :
masahiko (#35136) :

I concurr; I did receive a critical error trying to access the forums and the database yesterday. I think that in part might be due to the phpbb system and how it fails from time to time.

And I thought they were actually working on it already, oh well. I say it's high time to ditch the system. They've been fixing it for months and still can't kick the bugs. Well, it wasn't as bad when the site had chronic slow downs around mid-2006. For the forum, maybe Vbulletin like Supers planned or Quicksilver...

Kinpatsu FTW!!!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email YIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

There's something going that I'm not sure of. No idea if supers knows what's causing it. As well, I have no idea if it's related to the massive amounts of disconnects and netsplits on IRC lately. Crappy routes, maybe?

PostPosted: 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

Luther (#82867) :
And I thought they were actually working on it already, oh well. I say it's high time to ditch the system. They've been fixing it for months and still can't kick the bugs.
Yes, the 2.0 system was on planning a lot earlier, but we never got to start making it. We all thought it was dead since we didn't hear anything of supers for a long time. At least I haven't been fixing anything. 2.0 is not about fixing the system, it's about rewriting it.

Luther (#82867) :
Well, it wasn't as bad when the site had chronic slow downs around mid-2006. For the forum, maybe Vbulletin like Supers planned or Quicksilver...
I remember him planning that. But read the first post more closely
SharkMa-san (#4400) :
- Ditch phpBB2 & use SMF

PostPosted: 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Wasn't that mid-2006 slowdown caused by that crap problem with mysql and freebsd, like it says so on the news page? It was causing a load of problems, toasting random connections and making everything slow, if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

Isao Ota (#78393) :
Wasn't that mid-2006 slowdown caused by that crap problem with mysql and freebsd, like it says so on the news page? It was causing a load of problems, toasting random connections and making everything slow, if I remember correctly.
supers was thinking of switching to PostgreSQL then. But there wasn't any talk of using other bbs that time, if I recall correctly. (and if we would've switched to PostgreSQL that time, we would've had to use phpBB2 anyway :P)

PostPosted: 
Avalanche (#92065)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

masahiko (#35136) :

Same here. I was unable to access either the forums or the site for around 5-6 hrs yesterday. If this case was of a schedulded downtime, it would be very helpful if some message apart from "CRTITICAL ERROR" comes on the screen. Its kinda frustating. And schedulded downtimes should be reported on the main page of the site...

As for other things:
:
Agreed 100%!!! Get working it on NOW! TBH, a very few sites (most of them obsure) presently offer manga reviews. With the number of members at animenfo - this shoud prove to be a superhit in the long run (if the members contribute that is)...

:
Anime Match will be in Anime Search (easier to find)

Agreed

:
Ditch phpBB2 & use SMF
Moving to postgreSQL from mySQL

I really cannot comment on this - I'm not well aware of various internet based technologies and their nuances. Best left to supers and the coders of this site - I guess...

:
Community Calendar to mark dates of things like convention dates

Would this cover the latest anime series? The present anime calender of animenfo is a bit lacking IMO. Apart from comments, it should contain the number of episodes, genre and the company/studio atleast. I ask for these beacuse people often judge to watch the series based on these 3 criteria.

:
For reviews, have 3 or so people sign off pass or fail before making it live

Like most people said before me - I find this rather risky. And it will require a lot of contribution from the review mods. I think this issue should be first be passed on to them and let them come up with a proposal... speaking of Mods - anyone knows where is caireen now-a-days?

:
Include sponsor links to "Buy this item at" on lookup pages

Agreed - it would certainly help out people who are looking for recommendations. It might even lesser the number of people who go on making threads "I want an anime like naruto!" Rolling Eyes

MY reccomendations:
I liked one feature in Anidb very much - anime relations. A pic which would explain all the related anime series using a pictograph. here is an example. And here is another...

EDIT: A few other things came to my mind
1. Let the number of reviews to break the top200 be reduced to 30 (or 35). Cadd once said - that the system would sort the change from top200 to top192 will be sorted with time. That was last month - and even to date this 'bug' has not been resolved. And hence my suggestion. Besides the number is rather arbitary - it wouldn't hurt to lessen the number. Might just bring some overlooked series to the list which are not listed right now due to 2-3 reviews.

I'll add more points as I think over this...

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email YIM    Back_to_top 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

A calendar may contain scheduled anime releases, but probably contain community info, like upcoming conventions or other events.

As for "no advance warning" that animenfo would be down, its called "systme failures". Yes, the site went down yesterday, and it was unexepected.

PostPosted: 
Thomas(akaTammo) (#57694)
AnimeNfo Review Moderator

I noticed some of You are concerned with review related change. Review mods are already on the matter.

Basically, since we plan to change to moderated Wiki, we'll have availibility to check ANY submission before letting it go.

Quality over quantity.

Also, letting three people making decision about letting the submission in or not, we reduce the potential for abuse. Finally, we disable all the cases where a user was making 20 reviews per day, like: ROXX, all 10, SOXXXORS, all 1.

PostPosted: 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Quality over quantity.

I like that Razz.

Yah the 3-person panel is taking a bit of heat, but what would you suggest as an alternate approach to that?

PostPosted: 
Caddberry (#27690)
AnimeNfo Forum Administrator

Re: AnimeNfo 2.0, what changes comparing to the old system?

SharkMa-san (#4400) :
- For reviews, have 3 or so people sign off pass or fail before making it live.

More:
- i-mode, for browsing animenfo with cell phone

So bring it on your thoughts/ideas etc. etc.

EDIT: It seems that editing this post will remove it from global announcements.

Who has the vote in pass or fail? I think it's a great idea, but are you talking about like staff? I think it would have been a cool idea just to have it approved by a review mod but can you expand on this?

And who'd mod the wiki entry?

I think this is an awesome idea.. It's way overdue too.. I'm really looking forward to this.. I have been for years..

Edit -- I may have jumped the gun and this may have already been discussed in the thread.. Sorry I was excited.. ~_^

Obey the forum Rules!
Find answers to your questions in the Forum FAQ

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email    Back_to_top 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

It would certainly limit the amount of crap reviews that get passed through (I'm not insulting you in any way, Cadd) Very Happy

As for who'se gonna man the wiki system, we can decide that later. We would need more trusted people down the road, but we can always cross that bridge when we come to it.

PostPosted: 
Caddberry (#27690)
AnimeNfo Forum Administrator

Isao Ota (#78393) :
It would certainly limit the amount of crap reviews that get passed through (I'm not insulting you in any way, Cadd) Very Happy

As for who'se gonna man the wiki system, we can decide that later. We would need more trusted people down the road, but we can always cross that bridge when we come to it.

LoL I havent deleted a review for awhile now.. So Razz

And really I think one review mod ok'ing it would be fine.. 3 is to much..

Obey the forum Rules!
Find answers to your questions in the Forum FAQ

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email    Back_to_top 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

1 person can be extremely biased on something and decide to let it pass through. 2 people can decide fine but can get iffy, 3 people agree on teh review and it goes live.

I dunno, as I said we can decide this later when we get the wiki system up and running.

PostPosted: 
Pakxenon (#94080)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Re: Review passing

I used to do this... 6XXX times in total, at a guitar/bass/drum tab site (that was shut down... lol). Anyways, the reviews would come in, and people can decide to pass or fail it. At the end of a 24-hour period, when a review gets a certain score, it would either be passed or deleted. The remaining ones get to receive more opinion until they pass or fail. (Of course, the flaw is that reviews stay until they pass the required score, and some could be ignored and not even get a score. Just a suggestion.)

Re: Blogging

Get your own Wordpress! Razz

Re: anidb review rating system

I don't really post my reviews on anidb much (just 2 of them currently), but their system is quite okay. Leave a score and a comment so the review and reviewer can improve. Of course, animenfo's moderators are pretty hardcore (keep up the good work!), so there's almost no point in doing this. But the feedback is easier for the reviewer, which is what I like most about this system.

I like these ideas for a 2.0. I can't wait for them to get implemented!

PostPosted: 
Avalanche (#92065)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

I'm not to keen to have a review rating system like Anidb - that is kinda lame. Sure it gives you feedback, but some emo people often rate the review by their likeness of the series rather than the content of the review. hence the flame mails which people recieve for giving SHnY, KGNE etc low scores...

Blogging seems like a good idea - but IMO it will have to be heavily moderated or we'll have one line blogs going "R0x0rs".

PostPosted: 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

Goal: not be like anidb but be better.

PostPosted: 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

Isao Ota (#78393) :
Goal: not be like anidb but be better.
Exactly! Well said.

PostPosted: 
masahiko (#35136)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Whether we like it or not, the ranking is what many people are interested in the most.

How about splitting the ranking system from the review system so that people can vote for their favorite anime easier? Also, the ranking should be year based to reflect the current trend.

PostPosted: 
Avalanche (#92065)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

masahiko (#35136) :
Whether we like it or not, the ranking is what many people are interested in the most.

How about splitting the ranking system from the review system so that people can vote for their favorite anime easier? Also, the ranking should be year based to reflect the current trend.

I don't think that the review system should be made completely disjoint from the rankings. People would then just use ranking system to give the scores - and this might end up making the review section redundant. Besides I think it is the review section of animenfo which is crowning glory of this site. You can't find opinions like this on anime series anywhere else so easily in such an organized manner.

If a rating system has to be incorporated for the rankings - wouldn't it be better if the reviews are given a higher wieghtage than simple ratings while calcualting the score for the top200 list?

PostPosted: 

Reviews, few ideas
that are currently looked at

Lots of users would like to have feedback from others. There is of course problem of emo votes and hate mail ("You don't like Naruto? Die, mother f**ker! Rated 1!).

Also, we wouldn't like to just copy someone else' solution, now would we?

So, how about 3-stage of feedback system. Full (comments and rating, like AniDB one), medium (comments only, rating only) none (no feedback). User chooses what he wants.

Questions are:
- what if user chose full, and later wants to switch to none? Save prior ratings? Delete them? Ask the user?
- what if user chose full, and got only rating?
- what moderation should be used here? Noone wants hate-comments. Even if I never met with one on AniDB, I heard of them, so, if we go with this, moderation is needed.

Of course we may give the user an option to prohibit user X from commenting?

--------------------------------------------

Also, other idea is to allow people to mark reviews/reviewers as favourites. Perhaps to receive information about changes about such marks. Reviewer submitted new review, review was edited. etc.

--------------------------------------------

Yet another idea is to enable commentary, if user wishes for it. No ratings, just comments. For example, in one of my reviews I let other people comment on it. Again, what if I later change my mind? Should we implement some moderation for such comments? We're pretty understaffed so this may be harsh to realize.

All of these are ideas we currently think of. I encourage those of You with a bit of free time and review-related enthusiasm to voice Your own ideas, or opinions on these already given above.

PostPosted: 
Isao Ota (#78393)
AnimeNfo Peasant

I like the two latter ideas, they're pretty nice.

Can you explain a bit more about the 3-stage feedback system though?

PostPosted: 
SharkMa-san (#4400)
AnimeNfo Scout

Re: Reviews, few ideas
that are currently looked at

Thomas(akaTammo) (#57694) :
- what if user chose full, and later wants to switch to none? Save prior ratings? Delete them? Ask the user?
I think asking the user would be the best choice.

But the ideas sound interesting.

PostPosted: 

Sure.

Three levels of feedback would be an option for a user. For example, he could decide "I don't want feedback" - no feedback, level 0.

He could decide "I want only votes / comments". Level 1.

He could decide he wants all feedback. As detailed as it could be. Rating, comments, perhaps even remaking his review to better one, to reduce some clumsy sentence.

Of course, if we enable commentary for reviews, we may be forced to monitor it's level. Offensive language, insults and other childish behaviour cannot be tolerated.

Also, I would like to enable the user to switch. "No feedback from that moment on". Or, "gosh, I want comments, let me read what other thinks of my reviews". Or "freeze comments, go with ratings only". (That's also why I was thinking on having some scale implemented, so that people will know which grade means what, as till now pretty much everybody comes up with his own scale, which doesn't help).

SharkMa-san: Yeah, asking the user seems best, for this, I think.

Out of these, three level system is much more work than two other options.

PostPosted: 
Display_posts:   Sort_by:   
 Posts_count   Goto_page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Topic_locked View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Forum_index » AnimeNfo Feedback
Jump_to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot