Exercise in Creativity Part II
Moderators: AnimeNfo Forum Moderator, Writer's Block Moderator
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Posts_count   Goto_page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

Exercise in Creativity Part II
Results Topic #61: Search

So here goes the new part of Exercise in Creativity. Obviously i'll be the one checking it now. So you all gonna be stuck with my bad grammar. I'm sure i already made a dozen of mistakes in the last two sentences.
I would like to remember that it is Thurese that first brought that in this forum. And I think we can all say a huge "THANK YOU" to Thurese for it. If it wasn't for this thread i think I would have not stayed in this forum. And i think it is natural that i use his own word to describe what we are doing here.
Thurese (#87396) :
We're not here to display finished works, nor is this a competition. It's practice, an 'exercise to flex our creative muscles.' Simply, we're just some hobbyist writers who get together every week to share ideas on a shared topic to better ourselves as writers. This is a highly casual thing. Anyone is invited to participate and I welcome you with open arms if you decide to submit.

RULES:
They are nonexistent here. We want you to go as creative as you can on these exercise. TO some point we could say that standardized written pieces are a bad things here. I give you a new topic every week and you write about it. You write anything you want. No lenght, no maximum or minimum words, no anything you just write it down. SHould take about 20 minutes, maybe more maybe less. Everybody is welcomed, of course, and i suggest that you submit the first draft. Working to much on a submission is kinda out of the point of this exercise.
There is still one or two things that should be taken in consideration. NEVER post your work in this thread. If you post it in the thread directly, I'll ask my good friend Rosepetals19 to delete it for me. When I post the text, i'll put them exactly how i received them. If there is mistake, spelling errors or anything they won't be changed. And I won't read the submissions before the day i post them. Why we do this is to prevent writers being influened by other writers. That way we keep the submission as honest to the writer that is possible to do. So you Pm the submission and please put the topic in your title so i can easily sort them out. I.E:"Exercise in Creativity - Desert Rose".

Relevant Information

Currently, topic deadlines are: Every week at 11:59 EST as of August 17, 2009. Please PM submissions to Rosepetals since she's taking them for right now.

~edited by Rosepetals~

This week's current topic is:

More information:
Exercising in creativity since 9th september 2005.
9th september 2006 - One year anniversary Very Happy *Trumpet* Very Happy
9th september 2007 - Second year anniversary
Largest number of entries: 9 on #26 Image: Tree

Topic History:

#01 Desert Rose
#02 Brilliant Light
#03 Shadows
#04 Somthing Ironic
#05 Hands
#06 Spirit
#07 Magic
#08 Small
#09 Clouds
#10 Conflict
#11 Ideal
#12 Solid
#13 Trial
#14 Colors
#15 Joy
#16 Time
#17 Mischief
#18 Dark Embrace
#19 Grace - Incomplete
#20 Ecstasy
#21 Whisper
#22 Intricate
#23 Fire
#24 Justice
#25 Conscientious
#26 Image: Tree
#27 Image: Sunset
#28 New Beginnings There is an error in the title of this one. It is written "Topic #27 Result, 'Image: Moon' . But it actually the #28 Result for New Beginnings. And from that point all the topic are one behind of their real position. The next one is #29 but is noted as #28 on the submissions page.
#29 Anniversary
#30 Life
#31 Honor
#32 Continuous
#33 Play
#34 Becoming
#35 Night
#36 Music: Wumpscut - Witches dance
#37 Rain
#38 Image: Nightmare by Andre Fuselli
#39 Smoke
#40 Smile
#41 Talk
#42 Cigaret
#43 Bright Sky
#44 Clown
#45 Yesterday
#46 Blind Faith
#47 Alien
#48 What's wrong?
#49 Heaven
#50 Image:St-Michael overwhelming the demon by Raphael
#51 Revival
#52 Yeah!!!
#53 Guess who?
#54 Run
#55 Forever
#56 Boots
#57 Melting
#58 Purple
#59 WTF!?!
#60 Beyond
#61 Search
#62 Boom!
#63 Cards
#64 Picture: Field of Flowers
#65 Memory

One more time, a big thank you to Thurese to have brought this marvelous thread to this forum.

Exercise in Creativity
A keyboard, random topics, weird, touching and fun texts. Creativity at best.

PostPosted: 
Edited_times_total
  Read_profile Send_private_message MSNM    Back_to_top 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Made this thread a sticky. Still not sure whether I want to un-sticky (atrocious word choice, but I'll say it anyway Laughing) the other, I may leave it as is, unless Cadd comes in and says I won't be able to leave it as is.

I'm glad that the submission won't be due until Sunday; I think that gives me ample time to work on my submission (about 1/3 of the way done).

"I am not sure why I am so attracted to roses...but roses are romantic. Just like the flower, my music is on the borderline between reality and escapism"
-Rie Fu

Reviews
Remember to read the Rules and FAQ.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM MSNM 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Well as much as I'm gonna miss the old thread, I'm sure the new thread is going to be pretty awesome too Very Happy Hopefully Thurese will drop by as well.

I'll be writing something for continuous. Not sure what yet, but I'lll definitely write something by Sunday Very Happy

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message YIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

Woot texts!!!! =^_^= <-- and a kitty!
So here goes this week submissions...

#32 Topic result: Continuous

rosepetals19
:
“…and then you die.”

Never had I thought a group of words rung more true than those as I sat by my window, pen in hand…but I didn’t agree with the ending. Life's an ever-flowing cycle of animation and expiration-those who died gave rise to those who were born, and birth ran in the ebb and flow until the time of death. An undulating equilibrium…though they say in every biology class that if the body achieves true equilibrium, death occurs, so living, breathing, talking, walking, thinking…all result from some continuous imbalance lying uncorrected….or is such an imbalance “normal”?

It’s like the sand of the hourglass paperweight that held my paper stack intact on my desk: sure the sand ran out of one side, but it never completely ran out of the glass and sprawled on the floor. You would only have to turn the glass on the opposite side for it to start flowing again, like dry, beaded tears grazing along the curves of the transparent surface. I saw my convoluted reflection faintly within its bends.

I chuckled…yes, even such an imbalance existed upon the page I wrote. One phrase of jilted cursive seemed unfitting for one large cream-colored paper in my blank writing journal. I tried my hardest to pin the words I wanted, but they were lost in the calm sounds of my daughter’s breathing as she hugged my legs in her flannel teddy-bear covered gown as she slept with her head resting upon my lap. I ran my fingers over her downy curls, smiling since I used to have the same chestnut ribbon waves.

I could only think of the stubbed patches of hair atop my head and the paleness of my face a stain upon beauty’s own, not with regards to the hour, but with the toll of time and circumstance. I wonder if the contrast between us both was meant to be the unsettling imbalance.

I could only think…that I may tip the balance when my own time comes, but she’ll be the one to turn the hourglass over, and start the rhythm again.

AmaryLLis
:
7th December. I cried. It was painful and heat was unbearable. But I was cuddled and showered with loving kisses soon after. Several months later, I make a friend. It was soft and cuddly. It was comfort. It was my first friend. I called him Michael, my green teddy bear.

Mama. Mama I happily called out once I mastered the trick. Mama. Eagerly, I took my frist step into her arms. Into her warm loving hug. Soon after, I got faster. Faster and faster until I fell flat on my face. Silence. Ouch it hurts. But it make me feels.

I learn the ABC's and the 123s. It was lonely without mummy here. But I sure got lots of toys. Toys and more toys. There are people my size too. Small.

My official step to the world. Everyone look like me. Red and white clothings. I was told to be nice and play together. For a year. I get to learn (or so they said), play (this is more fun - cooking, construction, playacting), eat and drink (milk and bread) together. It would be fun they said.

I'm a little scholar. I've graduated. Mummy and daddy is so happy. I get to be the girl of the day. Lots of congratulations. They say i'm a big girl now.

Now everyone wears green and white. My uniform that is. I'm admitted to a neighbourhood school. I get to learn more and more. And make new friends and such. But i'm nervous and afraid.

My streaming year. The year that will determine if i'm in 1st class, 2nd class or the 3rd. Scary. But I make it. 1st class. Only 7 got through. So happy. However, I wasn't on a good term with my best friend. It was so sad in that aspect. I can't celebrate my achievement.

I got 3rd place ranking in the whole school. Wow. However, this is my last year before embarking to secondary school. At the same it was also the last year for my school. I'm the last batch of students that will ever graduate from here. My memories will all just be what it is. Memory. Nothing physical or tangible. But this year will be my best year ever. I shall treasured it always.

My first crush. My senior. So handsome and smart. Fair too. I melt. LOL. I went to my elder sis school. Got top of the class too this year. But my family moving into another town. There goes my school and friends and childhood. It was sad but yet excited. Excitement for the new environment and new beginnings.

My O'level. Got 2nd. Lots of congratulations. But i was feeling sad. We leaving yet again. We definitely won't stay together anymore.

Enter polytechnic. Make new friends. SHarpen my chinese.

My first boyfriend.

Breakup. Graduated with merit. Pursue higher degree. Find job.

Miserable at school. But must pressed on. Still single -_-"

Very good year. Got my bachelor. Fall in love (Tall Fair and pleasant looking - LOL ^_^). Become more stronger internally.

Change job. Higher pay???? Dream Job.

Got married. New house - Semi detached???

A boy. More work. Cuddles and Love. Kawaii boy.

Got a new car. A girl. Kawaii Girl.

Boy enter primary school. Girl enter Kindergarten. Ahh memories.

Girl enter primary school.

Daddy moved on.

Mummy follow soon after.

Boy & Girl got married. DOUBLE weddings.!!! Ahh so romantic.

Round the world trip.

Grandchildren. Time to pamper them.

I moved on.

=============================================================================

To explain this is somewhat what I went through. And my life is continuous. Well somewhat descriptive at the beginning to show what I somewhat went through in life. THen it gets to be shorten, showing my present and lastly what I hope will be. LOL. Yes a typical life.

acide_bob
:
You stand or die. You keep pushing it or you leave. In some way you can quit, and in other, you just can’t. We never really chose this. I can’t even say we were chosen. Me, all the others, we are into it and we don’t even know why. We wake up one day and we know something is changing. The world is different, the air smell different. People look strange to you and they look strangely at you. You feel out of place. Nothing is right. And inside you feel this anger, this hatred that grows every second passing. And you hate all of it. You don’t know why. But you hate. Just hate. No reasons to it, but you still do. You hate yourself, you hate your friends, and you hate your life. And at the same time somewhere in the shadows of your head you know it’s normal. You know something. But you don’t know what you know. It drives you crazy. You see certain people and you know they are different. You can feel it. And you hate them. You spend days and nights trying to find what’s going on. And you see more and more things that don’t fit anymore. And you keep searching for answers.

One day the answer shows up. We all got through this. It happened to all of us. You are in your room, maybe, or in the street late at night, or in a rave. And this hatred that was inside you finally burst out. Your vision is blurry, you can’t breath. Your head spin so fast that you don’t make the difference between hell and heaven. And at that point, they do it. Three of them, sometime more, burst out of nowhere and they chase you. No matter where you are. You run for your life. You jump by your room’s window. Or try to find somewhere to hide in the street. Or you go through hundreds of people in the rave. But, no matter what you do, they get at you. And even if you are scared the shit out of you, you still feel this hate growing more and more and you can’t control it. And your answer pops on your hands and body. You see the claws on your finger. You see the hairs growing in your arm. You can hear your bones explode and reconstruct. It hurts so much that you think that you gonna die. You fall on the floor and try to crawl out of your body. You smell everything and everything stink. You grow and grow and for a moment you are sure you are a giant. Your voice disappears and you growl deeply. While all of this happen. You see the three guys looking at you. And they smile. But they keep pushin’ you, they want more and you know it. And at that point you start to tears through everything that is around you. All this anger comes out. And it is so powerful that you think that you’ll die if you don’t let it flow.

And when it ends, you are in the middle of the rave and you look at all the blood around you. The corpses. And you breathe heavily, irregularly. You look at you shaking hands. And the claws are still there. The fur is there too. And the three guys are still there too. One of them makes a few steps in your direction. And you look at him and you know that he knows. He is like you. He is the same being, the same monster, the same animal. He stares at you in the eye and you see that same rage, that same anger and hatred. He says: “Your life has changed. Come with us, come to your people and take your place. You don’t belong to this world, you know it.”

And we all had no choice after all. We all go to take our new place as predator. We hunt in the night when the moon is watching us. We try to protect what we are from the humans and we try to protect them from what we are. Your life is lost. Everything is lsot. But you have something to do now. You are no longer out of place and that mkes you willing to go for more. We continue in a different way. Strangely we are more alive now than before, all of us. And you start to like this anger inside of you. You feel alive whenever it comes to you. Everything have changed and even if your regret your old way, you like the smell, the touch of the new one. And even if every time you keep thinking about the thirty four people you killed in the rave in this rage outburst, you keep craving for more. So you follow them and you continue.

shireen
:
The cool blue water splashed about my feet, it’s smooth continuous flow obstructed by my presence. The sunlight reflected in the water making hundreds of glittering diamonds appear all across the river. It was a wide river, several hundred feet in diameter. And because of it’s length and probably the hundreds to thousands of years it had continuously flowed across the very same path, the river bed had become smooth and slippery. The middle of the river was also smooth and looked like a pane of glass.

The river isn’t always smooth though, why just a week ago the smooth surface had given way to many ripples, the source being a small wooden boat. Inside the boat were packed a week’s store of food, a few essential utensils and a couple of knives. Also inside the boat were my husband and son, who had barely turned 14. Only about a week ago, they out of all the men in our little village had been chosen to undertake this gravest of operations. They were to join a group that had already set out to explore a new area of the jungle that had just been discovered a few days ago. Accessible only through the river Ganga, it would take them two days to reach. In the days leading up to their little expedition, my heart had been through a large range of emotions; from pride and joy, to anxiety, pain and fear.

This morning all those emotions intensified. I felt my heart would burst with the strength of all these emotions coupled together. And when my husband and son came to embrace me, I used all my strength to keep from crying. They used to say that if you cried when your loved ones left, they would never return or something bad would happen to them on the way. My husband squared his shoulders and began to row away, my boy continued to wave until they disappeared, a tiny speck on the calm horizon. I stood there, waving, long after they had left and then after a long time I sat down and cried. It might have been minutes, hours or days, time felt all the same to me.

It’s been a week now, I feel lonely. But life keeps going on, ever continuous, just like the river.

Next week's topic:
Play

It's funny cause when i first received the submissions i was "Hell wtf?!? what is that?" and then i was all excited about it and to post them today. I feel almost stupid.... almost : P And i'm acutally surprised that i didn't read the submissions before today lol
Thanks for the entries guys... well girls. See you next week.

P.S: If anyone still want to submit something for the Continuous topic send it to me and i'll edit my post.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
Edited_time_total
Sumomo (#45447)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

Play huh? I can do Play Smile
Loved all 3 entries! Great work!

My Deviant Art

PostPosted: 
Edited_time_total
  Read_profile Send_private_message Send_email AIM    Back_to_top 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Great entries for the week everyone, I really enjoyed them. Smile

Amaryllis: that was a creative entry, indeed. Interesting that you took the perspective of a person's life through each year, and chronicled it down to the teeth. Very well written.

Acide_bob: Nice narrative, and it turns dark rather quickly, with a melancholy tone. Goes to show what one can do when hate consumes the heart and when that hatred overflows and comes into action.

Haha, "play" is an interesting topic indeed; I'll do my best to submit something before week's end.

"I am not sure why I am so attracted to roses...but roses are romantic. Just like the flower, my music is on the borderline between reality and escapism"
-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
AmaryLLis (#68024)
AnimeNfo Overlord

@Rosepetals, I'll probably never look at an hourglass the same again. ^_^

@acide_bob, First of all, thank you for continuing with this thread again. ^_^. With regards, to your "continuous", initially I have no idea what you're talking about until towards the end. It's really hard to change something what you like doing even though you know it's wrong.

Anyway, next topic is Play eh. Must think about this. ^_^

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website MSNM    Back_to_top 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

@rosepetals-> Great one obviously. Intersting how you used the topic.. well what you did of it.. I'm sure you understand... Short too compared of what you do usually. I found it to be warming.. maybe soothing is a better word in fact. great job

@amaryllis-> +2 cool points for your text. I really liked it. well i was disapoitned that you kinda kept it quick when ti came to thigns still to happen... but it was good really.

@shireen-> Nice submission of course. interesting point of view, and a bit sad. i really like what you write... even more when you are on time! XP Good job really. And i swear i didn't read your submisison for Play yet.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
Edited_time_total
AmaryLLis (#68024)
AnimeNfo Overlord

acide_bob (#75207) :
@amaryllis-> +2 cool points for your text. I really liked it. well i was disapoitned that you kinda kept it quick when ti came to thigns still to happen... but it was good really.

Awww...thanks acide_bob. Although there are 3 reasons why i kept it short towards the end.

1st - Lack of time. I was doing this on thursday night so that i can submit to you on friday since i would be able to do so during the weekend. (no internet). And doing my first part already take quite a bit of time. Since i got to make realistic. Sure can make it over the top but that would require more time and more imagination.

2nd - Things started to become too Singaporean terms. LOL. Afraid you all may not understand it.

3rd - SInce it's realistic, it got to a point that i actually wrote what i went through and what i would like to happen. LOL.

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Yay texts Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I actually didn't have the time to submit one before (exams again yuck!) so I submitted one now, and I suppose AcideBob will put it up as soon as he can Smile

So for this weeks texts Very Happy

@Rosepetals: That was really really beautiful. The beginning was just so well written out and so nicely put Smile And then the bit about the narrator and child, very sweet Very Happy I loved it, great job Very Happy

@Amaryllis: Very very interesting Wink Any actual childhood experiances in there? I kinda guessed the future bit was what you dreamed off. Very interesting and expressive at the same time. Great work Smile

@AcideBob: Another interesting one from you Very Happy Just I'm not exactly sure, what kind of monster or beast does the narrator become? A werewolf from what I could tell. Not sure about it though... Great work with the text though, brilliant descriptions.

Sent in my bit for next week too Very Happy Don't really want to miss the deadline again :p

PostPosted: 
AmaryLLis (#68024)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Shireen. Welcome back ^_^.

Actual childhood eh. Well some of them though definitely not the very early years. I can't really remember anything.

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

AmaryLLis (#68024) :
Shireen. Welcome back ^_^.

Actual childhood eh. Well some of them though definitely not the very early years. I can't really remember anything.

Very Happy So I'm half right Razz

Actually very few people remember their early childhood. I only know two, my brother and cousin and strangely enough they can remember things that happened to them when they were one year old! I find it pretty amazing Very Happy

PostPosted: 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

i've put up the submission of Shireen for Continuous ... I suggest that everyone read it or you'll miss something. So... well... that's all i had to say i think....

The Hypno-Toad says: go read her submission and like it

Shireen, btw, i was inspired by werewolves for my submisison of last week... but i didn't have the precise intention of making look like it... i just wrote what came to my mind.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

acide_bob (#75207) :

@shireen-> Nice submission of course. interesting point of view, and a bit sad. i really like what you write... even more when you are on time! XP Good job really. And i swear i didn't read your submisison for Play yet.

Glad you liked it Very Happy I'll be on time from now on hopefully, I'm kinda early for this weeks Razz I didn't have a choice though, when it's between exams and writing, I guess exams come first Smile I knew you wouldn't read Play Very Happy

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

@shireen Ooh, that was a lovely piece, I really liked your use of description and how you tied the senario with the flowing river. Very well done.

Unfortunately, I will have to make a late submission to the current topic, because I have been studying for exams and haven't had the chance last week to compose something. But I will try to submit something within the next two days, if not sooner.

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

well sorry if there is no result right now.. i couldn't post them today... i spent the day at the hospital and came back not so long ago... it's really nothing serious but i'm still full of painkillers... i'm gonna psot the result later monday when i'll feel less confused...

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

acide_bob (#75207) :
well sorry if there is no result right now.. i couldn't post them today... i spent the day at the hospital and came back not so long ago... it's really nothing serious but i'm still full of painkillers... i'm gonna psot the result later monday when i'll feel less confused...

Hope you feel better Smile *Gives AcideBob a cookie* Take care and don't rush with the results, post em up whenever you feel better Very Happy

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

shireen (#57486) :
acide_bob (#75207) :

Hope you feel better Smile *Gives AcideBob a cookie* Take care and don't rush with the results, post em up whenever you feel better Very Happy

Indeed, take care of yourself, acide_bob and take your time; hope you feel better soon.

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

W00T! Texts!!! This week submissions!!!

#33 Topic result: Play

Annûniel
:
The light patter of the rain against the window dazzled the young child. With widened eyes and a gaping mouth, the water sliding down the glass grabbed her attention. The tiny prints from the fingers of curious hands smeared the once clean glass. Her breath emerged on the window and disappeared magically. The icy tinge from the freezing window sent chills up her spine with every touch. With each droplet missed, she let out a frustrated groan and frowned. The curious sensation provoked thought in the girl. She found it odd that the window was freezing, but everything else was warm and cozy. She didn’t understand why she could see the water race down the window, but couldn’t catch them. She would not accept this. Another capture attempt broke out.

The girl’s heart skipped a beat when she saw the treasure. An oversized water drop edged its way down the window, overpowering smaller raindrops. As it zigged and zagged, it captured more and more raindrops and grew larger and larger still. The child’s anticipation overwhelmed her. She thrust her chubby hands at her target with stunning accuracy. She struggled to capture the drop, smearing more prints onto the window. As the drop weaved away from her, she frowned. Suddenly, a gust of wind picked the drop up and carried it away. It laughed at the girl as she realized what had happened. Kicking the wall, she became angry, but not long enough to resist trying to capture another drop.

Inside, deserted toys covered the floor. These china dolls, stuffed bears, and china tea sets, unable to keep the child’s short attention span, lay on the floor rotting away. Christmas toys, birthday toys, Easter toys, and toys from Kmart were forever cursed for they’re failure to entertain the child and forever banished to the floor. The stuffed animals yearned for a hug, the games longed for another chance to be played, and the Fisher Price kitchen desired to cook one more pizza. Hundreds of dollars were wasted as the child enjoyed the simple pleasure of watching rain droplets run down the window.

AmaryLLis
:
"Alright students. Now I want all of you to think about this for a while. If you are to describe your parents using only one word. What would that be?" Fifteen minutes ago, that is what Mrs Robinson question us at the beginning of the creative class. One word. Just one word.

"That's difficult!" I thought to myself. "How can i find one word in another 15 minutes!!!" I hissed to the girl sitting next to me. She just look at me and smile. Looking down at her paper, I notice she has written lots of words. And seem to be playing some form of game. Probably using luck and chance in combination. I shake my head almost in despair.

I had never imagined creative classes to be this challenging. I look around my surroundings. Everyone seem to be doing something. "Think...think....think...." "one word...one word...one word..." I kept repeating. I close my eyes, bring my parents face into focus and keep looking at them. I try to recall what they do for me, how's my feelings towards it and them. And then it clicked.

PLAY.

P - Patience. My parents sure have lots of patience. I'm sure taking care of a family of 8 is no chicken-feat.
Dominic, Natasha, Myself, Little Riku; Grandma and Grandpa; Mummy and Daddy. They are also a Pro. Pro at tackling problems that aims to hurt our family. Lastly they are my Precieus. My pillar of support, strength and my future.

L - No stranger to anybody. Everyone needs and wants it. Love. Daddy and Mummy are full of it. Towards us siblings. Towards their parents. Towards each other. As they says love is strength. Love is power.

A - All-rounder. Being a parent is never an easy task. One got to be an all-rounder to suit different situations and different personality of their childrens. My parents is just that. An all-rounder.

Y - Forever young at heart. There will be times that my parents will be children and we children will take over their roles. There will be time when my parents are our friends. There wrill be time when my parents would go out on dates as if they were still dating. Neither their age nor looks matter. They will forever be young at heart.

My parents. They are PLAY.

shireen
:
“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five,” an impatient little voice screamed hurriedly, “four, three, two, one”; the little girl pulled her hands off her eyes, grinning wide. Bright and sparkling, they were an exquisite blue in colour, matching the pretty blue ribbon that held up her shiny black crop of hair. “Ready or not, here I come!!” She shouted, taking off as fast as she could and running to various corners of the house.

Ten minutes later, hot and puffed up with disappointment, she sat down on the sofa, almost ready to cry. It had been ten minutes since she began searching, and she hadn’t found even one of her three cousins or her brother. All of them were older than her; ranging from her brother Porous who was six, just a year older, to Mana and J.J. who were eight, and the eldest cousin Farah, who was almost ten.

Suddenly as if a gift from heaven, she heard a faint sneeze from behind the kitchen door. ‘Oh the kitchen, I forgot to check there’ she thought her beautiful smile returning. She slowly crept into the kitchen, acting as if she didn’t know someone was hiding there. She looked around the kitchen picking out all the places you could hide. Suddenly her eyes fell on the little door to the pantry. She slowly went to the door and opened it, grinning like a Cheshire cat. However instead of being greeted by her cousins, all that met her eyes were a few sacks of flour. “Oh no” she sighed and sat down on one of the sacks. “I’ll never find them,” her eyes downcast, she leaned back on the flour sacks, which tipped over and from behind the sacks, all screaming at the top of their voices, came her four elder cousins, outsmarted and covered in flour which had leaked from one of the sacks.

“Yay!!! I found you!!!” She screamed with joy, running around her cousins, her hair tossing wildly from side to side, “and all by myself too,” she grinned.

“You did, didn’t you Shania,” her brother grunted, a sinister grin slowly forming on his face. His sister ignored him in her excitement and with a little help from Farah; he slowly lifted up a sack of flour and poured it all over his sister.

“Aaah!” she screamed, shocked by the fresh attack. And then suddenly, a thought struck her, “Flour fight, yay!”

And for the rest of the afternoon, shrieks of joy were heard from the pantry and when the grown-ups finally came to investigate, they were confronted by piles of flour and four white, miniature ghosts.

rosepetals19
:
Note: another musical themed entry, but note that the lyrics in italics are my own songwriting and not taken from any source. It’s hard to write dark toned rock lyrics, but I did the best I could

I could hear myself strumming the chords of my guitar that cold December night, the kind of night where the frost accumulates on your windows and a frigid chill runs rampant through the air, though the central heat blaring from the vent was turned on a moderate blast. I sat on one of the made king-sized beds, the other unkept and disgruntled from the previous night, in a typical 4-star hotel room: rosy carpet that I sunk my bare feet into; the large window overlooking the city streets where children clutched their parent’s hands through their three layered mittens and everyone was bundled in stacks of woolen coats; the pictures of still flowers and one of Aphrodite bathing with the waterline across her chest in a sea of moonlight; the TV stand in front of me on the large dresser; and of course, the mirror where my long hair spilled over my half bare shoulders in a sleeveless T and jeans…not necessarily a match for the weather of course.

I gripped the instrument tighter to my chest, the paper of my notebook and pen lying on the rosewood nightstand as I tried to think of the words. My muse was rather unkind to me sometimes, I guess. Heh. I had a wealth of material to choose from, but my heart felt empty.

I looked at the two-seated table a little distance from the beds…silver handles…smooth curves…something to jog myself from the block that plagued my mind. Nope…no good.

I parted my lips and started to sing off the top of my head, just anything that came to mind. And as I did, the words came:

Verse 1:
Funny how this scene can be
Caught along this frozen sea
Moonlight searing into bloom
Upon my face in a silent room.

I found my place beyond the self-decay
Of a season marked in shades of grey.
Tossing, turning, into night
Can’t put a penance on my life,
A passing flake drifting out of sight.

Bridge:
I try to keep this image in my mind
But the hourglass starts to unwind
Falls apart, then I’m on the moon
Sealed a kiss on my muse’s tomb
And told myself…away…I want…to fly.

Chorus:
Say goodbye, I see the open door
Shadow lines weave across the floor
I wonder if I’ll come tonight
Open my eyes and take a flight
To a memory beyond what I know
Beyond the arid snow.

Verse 2:
Paint a picture in that little globe
Of a city I’ve never known
Snowing past a memory
Never meant much to bother me
Cause I never cared to it before.

Call to mind a sheet of white
Absence of color, yet a shining light
Deceptive tones, that purity
Underneath the silent dreams
Chills keep me wide awake.

Bridge:
And as I step into the heat
Melts away the icy sheath
Calls to mind a better time
And I feel…I’ve left it all behind.

Chorus:
Say goodbye, I see the open door.
No, I won’t see those feelings anymore.
But it’s enough to take a bite
If it means I’ll come to life.
No, I’m not the listless type;
I don’t want to go
To live beyond the arid snow.

Say goodbye, I know what it means
To put a brush upon your dreams
Filled with color, simple tones
Well beyond the hue of bones
Alone…alone….
Alone.

acide_bob
:
Hide and seek. Charly had learned that when his step-father wanted to play that it obviously meant that he was better to stay hidden while this human looking ogre had to have a “talk” with his mother. This monster was unable to talk with anything else other than his fists. At nine years old, Charly could understand that it was getting worst every time. Often his step-father was going out of control and was beating Charly too. With the time, he had learned to hide under the stairs where his stepfather couldn’t reach him.

And he was under them once again. His hands covering his ears like always hoping he couldn’t hear the screaming. He was scared, but he knew he was safe. Here no one would reach him. He heard a loud noise in the kitchen, like wood exploding. And Charly thought that his mom has no stairs to hide.

He slowly crawled out of his shelter and, still walking on his knees and hands, slowly made his way to the kitchen. He saw her mother crying on the floor and the monster was still yelling at her. It’s like the game; Charly crawled under the table unseen. The ogre was going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Sometime dropping a punch on his mother. Charly waited for the boogeyman to come back and jumped at hi trying to bite his nose when he crouched to yell at his mother. The stepfather started to yell and threw Charly across the kitchen.
“Even your son’s a rat.” He yelled. “You’re a bitch. Everything you do is as lame as you.”
It’s like the game. Hide. Thought Charly.
“Where is he?” said the ogre turning around. “Where is this little son of a…”
“Charly, no…”
It’s like the game. You hide and wait and sooner or later you’ll find it.
The stepfather heavily fell on the ground, the knife standing straight in the bottom of his back. And he was wondering what was happening. He will discover, later that day, that his spine was severed from that point, by a kid trying to help his mother and did the first thing that came to his mind to stop this.

Next week's topic:
Becoming

a big thx to Annûniel to ave joined us this week... and well thx to everyone in fact. Once again you're all amazing. Since i was sick for almost all the week i didn't write anything... but i,ll think about it today and try put a submission too. As usual if anyone still want to send something please do. Next week all
=^_^= <---A kitty! .... i should really stop with those...

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
Edited_times_total
AmaryLLis (#68024)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Acide_bob, I hope you're feeling much much better now. ANd thanks for posting the continuous story up!.

@Shireen's Continuous
It is a sad feeling. And everyone can relate to being away from your love ones.

@Shireen's Play
HIDE n SEEK!!!. Gosh so long i've never play this game. This is always fun to play although not much place to hide when everytime we tried playing it. Ahhh childhood memories.

@Annûniel
First and foremost, welcome. Do continue to provide with more writing yeh ^_^. And your writing make me realise, nowadays toys fail miserably as catching a child attention. I really not sure if it's the toy maker fault for not understanding or just children nowadays just are no longer interested in toys. Look at my nephew, you can never count how many cars he got. HE still wants one. **shakes head**

By the way, i like how you describe droplets on the window. Really easy to imagine it.

@Rose
Nice song. Although i tend to think of it as a poem instead. usually dark songs tend to be short. Not long. Well i think ^_^. but good job.

@Acide_bob
LOL you can use =^_^= this anytime you want. I'm always using ^_^ without the ears (if equal = ears) anyway. ~.^

Nice one this time. I like it. ^_^

PostPosted: 
Edited_time_total
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

ok... so Rose sent a submission late so i put it... well some days ago i think tuesday... and i put mine today... which was a hell to write lol

@Annûniel-> +2 cool points to you. Warming, joyful, cute and so real. Great entry, accessing my top 10 of favorite since the beginning of Exercise of creativity. Hope to see more from you.

@Lis-> Interesting of course. so i guess now that i have a one word expression to describe my parents too. thx.

@Shireen-> guess you played hide and seek a lot when you were young. Great one. i like the feeling of perfect childhood in it.

@Rose-> Great job on the lyrics. I like the rythm, overall tone. You fail on the dark side tho : P j/k Great work. +1 cool point for you.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

acide_bob (#75207) :
@Rose-> Great job on the lyrics. I like the rythm, overall tone. You fail on the dark side tho : P j/k Great work. +1 cool point for you.

I think I should have edited that first statement when I sent it to you, I wanted to write a dark set of lyrics, then completely did a 360 and decided to make it more towards the scene rather than focus on the tonality. I kind of wrote it at the last minute and wrote it in the wee hours of the morning =_= I'm glad you liked it though. The first thought that came to mind with this topic was a child playing, which quite a few entries did a great job focusing upon, but I figured no one would touch "Play" in the sense of music. I somewhat sacrificed content for novelty this week...ah well.

And hey, for being hard to write, your entry was quite good; it was a vivid description of a "game" that shouldn't be played, and I think it's unique in respect to content this week. Charly reminds me of a character I read in one of my favorite novels "Forged by Fire", the similarities lie in the way the boys were abused by their stepfathers, and oddly enough, though Charly proceded to kill his father, the character in "Forged By Fire", Gerald, saw his stepfather die "accidentally" after falling down the stairs, the result of the man chasing after him and his little sister in a fit of abuse, but Gerald saw himself as a murderer. In any event, yours is a tragic irony and very well documented.

@Annûniel, loved the description of your submission; the simplicity of life's pleasures is a marvel indeed, and I like how you described the girl as she looked with such fascination at the scene outside the window...and drew a stark comparison to the myriad of dolls and whatnots that were left untouched.

@Amaryllis, that was cute Smile Reminds me of something I did back in elementary school with the...what was it called?...oh, yeah...acrostic: using each letter as the first word of a short description. I like how you tie in the concept of play as an endearing message about the character's family, and even the collective meaning of families in general. Very well done.

@shireen Haha, hide and seek and simple mischevious play with the kids, that was very sweet. I liked how you had the description at the end of the kids in the pantry. Those kids would be in big trouble, truth be told, but in their smiles, it made me smile as well. Smile

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
Annûniel (#90354)
AnimeNfo Description Editor

Thanks everyone! ^-^ I'm glad you liked my entry. One of my favorite games was jsut what that girl was doing... Though I more often did that in the car. Razz

@ AmaryLLis. I really liked your "twist" on the theme. Using Play to describe the parents is a very intersting and creative twist--I think anyway. Parents aren't usually associated with playing. Smile

@ shireen. LoL! That was so innocent and sweet. I can imagine the looks on the parents faces when they found the "ghost" children. Laughing

@ Rose. Very nice touch on your part. The descriptions and the song was wonderful. I think it'd make a good song as long as you could get a good melody and beat Smile

@ acide_bob. I enjoyed your comparisons to playing and monsters in your piece. Though dark, sad, and depressing, it was well written. The comparisons made it seem more like it was truly coming from the child's point of view. I wonder what it would be like in first person... Smile

My Anime Blog
My Book Blog
I like our party better. The dress code is easier and I know all the steps.
I want your Wii Stick!
It'll be an adventure!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

Annûniel (#90354) :
@ acide_bob. I enjoyed your comparisons to playing and monsters in your piece. Though dark, sad, and depressing, it was well written. The comparisons made it seem more like it was truly coming from the child's point of view. I wonder what it would be like in first person... Smile
thx ... and well i thought of doing it first person... but i feel like i'm always writing in first person so i thought i could try different for a change ... but i do think it would have been better in first -person view tho lol

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Sorry kinda late posting here Very Happy

@Amaryllis: That was a really cute entry Very Happy And very creative as well Smile Great job Very Happy

@Annuniel: Lol I love that Very Happy Your description was really good. I especially like the first two paras Very Happy Really good work. Oh and welcome to the thread Very Happy

@AcideBob: Lol you wrote about Hide and Seek too Razz Though your's is much darker than mine. Very nice story though, I really liked it. Great job Very Happy

@Rosepetals: Wow that is really good work. The descriptions at the beginning are great as always. Very welll written piece. It was the lyrics that actually stunned me this time round. Awesome job on them. I'm sure if you actually sung that song it be a top 10 single Razz Great work!!

Next week's topic Becoming, well I'm not too sure about this one. Not really striking me in any way.

PostPosted: 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

hummm.... well not W00T cause there is no Texts... so... well... hello everyone Embarassed

ok so i'll try to let this topic for another week, if by the next sundy there is nothing i'll put a new topic... Unless people want to chang topic now.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Laughing Sorry about that. Like I said before, the topic just hadn't given me any ideas. Though I just thought of something, so I'm gonna try and write it out. It won't be too bad hopefully Razz

PostPosted: 
SupraGuy (#92823)

Had Idea.
Started writing.
Got writer's block.
Idea stuck.
Won't come out.
Will try again.
(Yes, I wrote this in short choppy sentences intentionally, since it mirrors my thought process when I try to get back to writing it. I like the idea that I have, but getting it across is more difficult than I'd thought that it would be.)

Have you read the Rules? How about the FAQ? If not, why not?

Anime Girls Character Battle Results!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message 
Sumomo (#45447)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

I found the topic kinda hard too.
I'll see if I can write something tomorrow.

My Deviant Art

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

I finally wrote something Very Happy I hope someone else has too Smile At least it'll be the end of this topic Razz

PostPosted: 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

W00T! Text!!! This week submission!!!

#34 Topic result: Becoming

shireen
:
Note: Before you start reading the story I think it’s necessary to have just a basic idea of a ceremony called the Navjot in the Parsi religion. Being a Parsi myself, this was the only thing that struck me when I thought of the topic becoming. To be a Parsi, you have to be born into a family where both your parents are already Parsis. When you are between the age of 4 to about 10, you have to go through what is said to be the most important ceremony for a Parsi, the Navjot. The Navjot is the initiation of a Parsi child into the Parsi religion and it is only after the Navjot that you can truly consider a child a Parsi. During the Navjot, a Priest along with the child say prayers and the child is given a thin vest (I can’t exactly explain) called a Sudreh and a long sacred thread, the Kusti, that has to be worn everyday after the Navjot. There is usually a reception party after the ceremony. I hope that my explanation is reasonably good. Writing the story is actually giving me a tinge of nostalgia.

“Has the Dasturji (Priest) come yet?” A harassed voice called out, “It’s already four thirty when will he be here? Shireen, Porous, stop running around! You’ll get your clothes dirty!” Mahrukh hurried after her two children, fumbling with her sari (an Indian dress). Her hair was tied into a high ponytail, held together with a maroon clip that matched the colour of her gorgeous sari. Heavily embroidered with designs of animals and birds in white and with little dashes of gold thread here and there, the sari hadn’t been easy to make and had cost quite a bomb. Carefully pulling up the many pleats she hurried after her children as fast as she could manage in her golden stilettos.

A few moments later she managed to catch her children just in time to prevent her son from pouring a pile of sand all over her daughter’s dress. “That’s enough you two. Now go and sit quietly over there or your father will shout.” She commanded.

“Yes mum,” Shireen replied, and walked resignedly to the chair. Her hair was shoulder length pushed back with a hair band. She was wearing a frilly peach colored frock which she secretly loathed, but her mum insisted that it was ‘What all cute 8 year olds are wearing now-a-days.’ She couldn’t wait till after the ceremony, when she would get to wear the pearly white dress with net that she actually liked. She was soon joined by her brother, who a year older, was in absolutely no mood to hold still. He continued to fidget with one of the buttons on his brown shirt, or the spikes that Mahrukh had set with great difficulty in his hair, until his mother, preoccupied with other preparations had turned her back to him. Seeing his chance, a mischievous grin formed on his face as he got up and began to walk back towards the muddy playground he had been dying to explore.

“Hey, mum said to sit here,” Shireen said. “You better not go anywhere.”

“What’re you gonna do?” Porous replied as he turned back, “you’re just a stupid girl,”

“Am not!” she replied sticking her tongue out at him.

“Are too!” Porous yelled, scowling at his sister. He went up to her and pulled her hair.

“Ow!! Leggo Legggo!!” She screamed pinching him. They would have quite likely beaten each other to a pulp if it weren’t for the Dasturji finally arriving causing their father to come looking for them.

‘Not again,’ he shook his head as he walked up to his feuding children, “Porous, Shireen stop it!” he said in a loud voice. The pinching and pulling stopped instantly but it took a while for the scowling to end. By that time, Cyrus, brushing dust off his white pants and matching white shirt, had managed to settle himself in the middle of his two children and putting his arms around each of their shoulders he began, “You two know what today is?” Pausing for a second he continued, “Today is the day that you become Parsis. It’s the biggest day of you lives and also the most important. After today, you can proudly proclaim to the world that you are Parsis. But that isn’t all. Having you Navjot done doesn’t only mean that you have entered the religion, it also means that you two are now old enough to understand your responsibilities and be good, helpful people. It is a day of pride and honour, not just for you two, but for me and your mother as well. So now behave yourselves and prove to everyone that you deserve to have your Navjote done.”

“Ok daddy,” Porous shouted. “We’ll make you proud,”

“We’ll do it daddy,” Shireen squealed with excitement, “we’ll show everyone.”

“That’s my good kids,” Cyrus smiled pulling them into a bear-hug, “Not let’s go find the Dasturji.”

Porous and Shireen both grabbed one of Cyrus’ hands, eyes gleaming with excitement, ready to take on the world. Many other adventures followed that day, including them both being scolded by the Dasturji for talking during the prayers, which they incidently managed to recite without mistakes, Porous finally managing to explore the playground and Shireen got to wear her dress, Cyrus and Mahrukh were busy all evening tending to friends and family and they even found out that the Dasturji’s silver-white beard when untucked from his shirt, extended all the way down to his stomach. But in Shireen and Porous’ own words, their best adventure was them becoming real, responsible Parsis, an adventure that would stay with them for life.

acide_bob
:
It starts so early that you can’t even realise that it starts. For what seems like a lifetime you are in your world. You ignore what is outside and just stay there. Sometime you hear something, strange sounds, most of them frightening. There is one, though, that you hear often. And this one is soothing, warming. Almost as soothing and warming as where you are now. When you hear this sound, you know everything is going well. Nothing to worry about, nothing to be afraid of. You can just stay there in your half comatose state and appreciate this dark place. You can’t see it, but you don’t need too. For what you know, it is you world and you’ll stay there forever. And strangely even if you are hidden from the rest of the world, even if you never try to go toward anyone, you still change.

You start as nothing and you grow. And you never stop to grow. And you slowly start to move and think. You don’t know how to do it, but you do. You sometime react to things outside. And you start to wonder what is really outside. You well hidden spot start to be too small for your big ambition. The stronger, the bigger you get, the smaller is your home. And you start to think about finally going outside.

And when you do, one person always suffers a lot for you so you can go. What was the warming and soothing sounds, become a kind of scream of agony and pain. And you tell to yourself that maybe it would have been better to stay inside. You think that cause the first thing that you do when you want to see the world is make someone that really love you suffer like hell. Sometime you wonder if it is because you are a bad person. But since you already started all of it you can’t go back now. This person will suffer no matter what. And it hurts you so much to hear and feel this pain for the other, that the first thing you do when you finally get out is cry for her. The outside is cold, you don’t see a thing. You feel like you are being manipulated like a doll. Someone strike you on the back. And you really start to wonder if it was a good idea.

But in no time, you feel the warm again. And you hear that sound again. You can’t see it, but you recognise it. And you feel all warmth inside. And the sound is even clearer than before and you like it so much that you forget what happened during almost one year and start to think that you have find your place for the first time. And you start to change again.

So.... well a huge thx to Shireen. You made my day honestly. I was really wondering if i would get a submission lol

Next week's topic:
Night

Of course the "Night" result are due for the 29th. The topic after, i want to try something new, let's see it as a halloween special. So be prepared cause i'm conscious that it may be another hard topic. Nway see you all next week.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
Sumomo (#45447)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

Ugh, I've been lazy Sad

This week I will submit something to Night Very Happy

My Deviant Art

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

I meant to say that my submission would be late earlier (Tuesday guys, promise), but didn't have the chance to. Hopefully I can craft something that's more on time next week. (I had a rather hectic weekend in terms of working, and add that with finishing up an anime series).

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Heehee glad that made you happy Very Happy I was hoping for more texts myself but it's ok I guess Very Happy

@AcideBob: That is probably the most beautiful piece you have written. It's so obvious if you think of it, I mean what better way to show becoming than birth Very Happy It was so sweet and warm and cute which is really not like the pieces you write most of the time. And although I like that style of your writing, it would be nice to see more of your soft side Very Happy Excellent work Very Happy Double thumbs and a cookie for you Razz

Great topic for this week Very Happy I'm sure we're gonna see a good wide range of ideas Very Happy

PostPosted: 
Annûniel (#90354)

Sorry for not getting anything in this time around. I wasn't feeling particuarly great this past week and there's been a lot of stress... But I think I'm pretty much over it (though I'm still slightly sick). And I just wrapped up something for the next topic! Smile

Anyway on to some thoughts on last week's submissions....

@ shireen. I like the interactions between the family. It felt very real. I also found the ceremony itself to be intriguing. Well done. Smile

@ acide_bob. Very well done! The tone of the piece is very unique and heart warming. Its full of truths and power. Though you talk literally of birth, it can be almost applied to life in general. Change is an important part of life, and I think you capture that wonderfully in your piece. Smile

My Anime Blog
My Book Blog
I like our party better. The dress code is easier and I know all the steps.
I want your Wii Stick!
It'll be an adventure!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM YIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
AmaryLLis (#68024)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Becoming is a hard topic for me. Top it up with what been happening in my life. There isn't any motivation at all. With that said, congrats to both shireen and acide_bob for submitting something.

@shireen,

That was indeed touching. Is that a true account of what happen when it was your turn? LOL it must be cute to see you and your bro acting like that. Haha.

@acide_bob

Birth. Nice one. Although i do wonder does what baby feel when they are being deliver. DO they feel pain as well (not counting the slap at their buttock or the temp change). I mean the process. Is there pain.

Next topic, i try to deliver something. Night shouldnt' be a hard topic. ^_^

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

I think I'll wait uto submit something as well, the past several days I haven't been able to write something, if I had more time, I think I could have submitted something for Becoming. It's already past the day I wanted to make a submission, so it's probably better to leave it be.

I really like both Shireen's and acide_bob's submissions equally this week. Very good work. Acide_bob, I agree with Shireen that's one of your best pieces crafted about the experience of birth, rather introspective on your part and definitely beautifully composed. Shireen, your description of the event really made it potently realistic and cute. ~_^

*goes back to studying for her midterm exams* i've been taking breaks with viewing anime than writing. But I'll try to make time before this weekend to compose something for Night.

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

@Annuniel: The ceremony is quite interesting Very Happy You should look it up sometime you're free Very Happy Or you could just ask me Razz THere were a lotta things I didn't put in Razz

@Amaryllis: Yeah a lot of those things happened. Which is why I called my main characters Shireen and Porous Razz

@Rose: Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

Waah, I made my submission at the last minute Laughing But I'm actually happy because it turned out a little better than I thought it would. I'm rather looking forward to the entries this week since I like the topic choice, and I'm sorry that I wasn't able to contribute last week. Embarassed (Grr...exams...still have them coming up, but not as much as before).

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
Sumomo (#45447)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

I submitted mine aswell, though its short.

My Deviant Art

PostPosted: 
acide_bob (#75207)
AnimeNfo Warrior

w007!! Texts!!! \^^/

#35 Topic result: Night

Annûniel
:
The eternal night came when I turned eight, but it really began when I was about five. My vision grew cloudy and blurred. Eventually the grey clouds turned black and a veil was cast over my eyes, shrouding the world in utter darkness.

I was afraid at first. The darkness overwhelmed me. I couldn’t escape the eternal night that was now my existence. I yearned for the light which I had always known. The light was familiar to me. I thought it was safer. I thought the light comforted me. It wasn’t until the eternal night came that I realized the truth.

The shadows showed me a whole new world that was blotted out by the overpowering light that had been my world. Just as the sun blots out the stars during the bright daylight hours, the light blotted out the shadows of the world. I could see everything. I could see the wind blow through the trees, the love a mother gave to its child, and the power that was given by a warm hug. The light world outshone these truths, blinding people to only see the leaves being carried by the wind, a mother holding hands with its child, and two people embracing each other. The shadow world showed me the many truths of the world.

Despite the love I came to know for the shadow world, people told me I couldn’t see and that I needed to be fixed. They didn’t understand that I could see more than they could, blinded by the light. They told me I was handicapped. Never could they understand the truths of the world, for they couldn’t see past the blinding light. They never understood; they would never understand.

They took the truth away from me. The light of the world blinded my eyes once again. Though it was painful at first, I eventually managed to adjust again. The truth of the world, given to me by the brief visit to the shadows of the world, would never truly leave me. Still, now I can no longer see the wind blowing through the trees. I can only see the leaves the wind carries. I will never forget the colors of the wind.

But what they couldn’t understand, what they failed to see, was that they were the ones living in eternal night, and I, I was the one who was shown the light.

Sumomo
:
Ahh I love it.
Its black. Its silent. Its deadly.
I say goodbye to the people. They dont need me now.
But the blackness does.
The other shadows around me, they look at me.
They pass me by.
Their scent lingers, long after they are gone.
Nothing is at it seems. Every corner, every turn.
Every trashcan, every car, every tree.
Scents everywhere, shadows moving everywhere.
The moon is my light. My eyes are my weapon.
The scents are my lead. The blackness my companion.
Oh, how I love the night.

I am a preadator.
I am a feline of the night.
I am the night.

shireen
:
The stars shine bright
High in the sky.
The moon is up,
The bats still fly.
And underneath all of this,
Two lonely lovers share a kiss.
But although they slept so close together,
They knew they could not stay forever.
Because although now they were,
Living under the same set of stars,
It would soon be time for him to depart,
And take with him, her bleeding heart.
Till the day when once again,
They would come together, through joy and pain.

The ink had still not dried from the paper after she wrote these lines. She slowly turned and looked out of the window. It was a bright night and just like in her poem, the moon was up and it’s light brightened up the little village. Standing up, Shania pulled her dark brown hair into a high ponytail and swept the sweat of her face. Her village had been experiencing un-called for power cuts and always at night. And being as devoted to poetry as she was, Shania had continued to write her poem by candlelight. Albeit it was short compared to what she normally wrote, she still contemplated it with as much love and pride as any of her other pieces. Now stationed at the window of her small two storeyed villa, she looked out upon the village below. Her light brown eyes searched the village and she saw that each little house had tiny lamps lit and the sea of lights below was just as beautiful as the one above her head. She looked below and saw her brother sitting on the steps of their house.

‘Oh oh. What is he doing out this late? I thought he had gone to bed ages ago. This is not good.’ And with these thoughts she drifted into an almost dreamlike stance. The wind rustled through the leaves on the trees, weaved through her hair and brushed against her skin. But the only thing that awakened her from her dreams was the sight of a well known figure hurrying down the street. His short black hair was pushed back, a wide grin was on his face and a twinkle in his eye. ‘Oh why does Jai always have to stay up on the wrong days?’ she thought as she watched Nishit walk closer and closer to her house. Then suddenly she made her decision and hurried out of her room. Tiptoeing down the stairs she went to her closet and put on a pair of strong black boots. It was a chilly night and she was in no mood to get sick. The black boots were a strong contrast to Shania, so unlike her delicate frame and ivory skin. Furtively glancing around the house, she ran out the back door. Walking around the building, she crouched near one of the walls on the side behind a barrel, only her head visible above it’s rim. Just in time too, because a moment later Nishit walked to the gate.

“Hey Nishit!” Jai said, rather surprised, “what’re you doing here so late?”

Nishit looked at Shania, who signaled for him to leave. Jai followed Nishit’s gaze to where Shania was hiding but didn’t see her duck her head below the barrel.

“Well I’ll see you later then,” Nishit called and hurried away.

“Ok” Jai shouted after him. He felt something was wrong, but his suspicions were forgotten just as soon as Nishit’s figure diminished into the shadows.

On the other side of the house, Shania skipped merrily towards where Nishit was waiting and ran into his open and waiting arms. “That was close wasn’t it?” She smiled up at him.

“Yeah.” Nishit smiled back. “Promise me,” he said softly, “that you’ll tell your family about us, tomorrow itself.”

“Ok, I promise,” Shania replied and slipped her fingers into his. They walked down the road and the night ended, just as it had in her poem.

rosepetals19
:
On the surface, it seemed like the worst type of night to go out for anything. Despite my Mom’s incessant reminders to leave before the evening, I did not heed them nor intended to do so.

I resided within the confines of the roof’s glass-covered patio, dressed in a suit and tie, outstretched on one of the soft velvet couches. My room lie only five steps behind me through the door. My tie hung loosely around my neck, my jacket slightly slipped off my shoulders, the first five buttons of my collar shirt were unfastened, and my hands rested on my stomach. I had slipped off my black shoes long before, just wearing them long enough to appease her before she left that evening for work. She was never really around during the early hours of the day and most of the night, since she worked the night shift as a nurse.

The permeation of darkness lie so thick around my eyes, I didn’t have to shut them to get that feeling of seclusion. Something about being in this dim space consoled me, yet I have never been partial to the darkness. My sister would always come in my room (to my chagrin, always without knocking) in the evenings and wonder why I had all the lights turned off while sitting at my desk and twirling my silver pen in my fingers, usually something I would do if I was deep in thought. “It’s not good for you to keep yourself closed in like this,” she said. But I never had a penchant for sunshine; I could tolerate the moon a lot more because the dimmer spill of the milky light upon your eyes coated them without stirring your senses so blatantly. If I ever did go out myself, it was always at night: calm, cool even in the height of the summer, and the time of the day where I felt the most free.

The rain that pattered furiously upon the glass above me dawdled upon my ears like rhythmic, but furious taps of a bass drum. The lightning I didn’t mind as much either; sudden and like the rush of a memory unwanted, it’d come just when you least expect it and stir the blood within your heart, quickening a few paces from the sudden intrusion. I loved the rush, and being able to witness this from the transparent walls around me allowed a sense of sudden impact, maybe even a dangerous thrill that most people wouldn’t dare to witness.

I heard a stir behind the couch, the sound of a door opening, and something told me it was my older sibling; I knew her red pumps on the tile floor as well as I knew the rhythm in which her breaths came. I lay as still as I could, not wanting her to know my presence in the room. I heard her murmur under her breath, a tremor slightly in my voice: “He really must have went there tonight, but he’s really late and there’s no one here.” As she shut the door, I exhaled the breath I was holding with frustration. No way, I thought while clicking my tongue, would I go there tonight; I didn’t have any obligations or will to go; I had nothing to hold me down, nothing to show for, nor wanted anything in association with that.

I removed and held up the fresh rose that had been in the breast pocket of my jacket for hours, my fingers indenting the closely packed petals. How it had lasted that long, I didn’t know, but I grazed down to its fuzzy stem and massaged it between my fingers, as I would the neck of my favorite pen, as the lightning flashes came more infrequent, and thunder grumbled softly in the distance. I had the feeling that I was already outside, and that the dim moon, obscured by clouds, shined on the flower in the way that made it seem wet, and I could look upon my shirt and see the reflected beads of water gathering and spilling off the roof in continuous equilibrium.

It was the end of prom night, on my own floor and within the turns of light from the reflected raindrops, and the only things dancing were the calm, collective thoughts spinning inside my head.

acide_bob
:
And when I wake up in the middle of the night I feel dizzy. First thing I do is to start burning a cigarette, second is to try to finish the vodka bottle. I can’t see outside, there is wood nailed on the windows. And I still have her smell in my nose. She isn’t there, but I still have it. Even the awful taste of the smoke won’t make it go away. And I move in the giant bed and face the door. Black door, black walls, black floor. The only thing that got color is the bed. Crimson satin sheets on a giant heart shaped bed.

And I turn again in the bed trying to forget that I’m still here. I know the night is cold. Probably in the middle of February. Can’t be sure tho, Last time I checked something that look like a calendar it was October. And I feel the earth of her body right in back, like when she was closing her body to mine. Sometime looked like she was trying to hide behind me. I pick a new vodka bottle and down it to the half in less than 30 seconds. I don’t even feel it in my throat. It’s like water to me. Well I’m not sure. I haven’t drink water in ages. I don’t even remember what it tastes like. I still feel the warming presence in my back. I know there is nothing there, only my brain going crazy like always, but I still try to reach her and my hand meets the darkness. I turn around again and pick the little baggy on the floor full with a white powder. I don’t even stop a second to try and remember what it is exactly and pour all I can in my nose. Followed by the second half of the bottle and little bit of my cigarette. I wait for it to kick in. I still feel er, is till smell her. I can almost feel her skin, like rose’s petals. I turn around again, and turn, and turn.

The drug isn’t kickin’ in, and I see her eyes, violet. I see her lips crimson and I see her with her pale skin. I can’t go on like that forever. It’s time I try something new. So I go to the wood window and tore apart every single piece of woods that hide it. In no time snowflake and cold engulf in the room and I go back to the bed. If my experience is correct, in no time I may slumber in a deep sleep and die from the cold. I won’t even feel it. And I wait. Just wait, nothing more to do. I wait. And I still feel all warm form her. Time to open up another bottle. Must admit I feel disappointed, no more vodka. Guess I’ll go with the Southern Comfort. Nothing like an alcool that was originally made by black slaves to make a man feel better. But I don’t feel any better.

And when I turn around once again. I see her walk in the room, wandering around naked with her cigarette like she used to do. I find her so beautiful that I could die. And she comes back in the bed and presses her body against me. I can feel her breast. The strange contrast of the cold night in my back and her hot body on my front make me going crazy once again. And this time I can really touch her. Nothing that feel so real can’t be a part of my confusion. And when she climbs on the top of me there is no more doubt in my mind. It’s exactly like it was before. And when she starts to moan silently I feel my heart stop for a few seconds. And the faster her hips move the deeper my mind goes. In no time, the room is spinning and the wall are like wax melting.

And then, the coke kick in. And when I realise that she is not there, that only my hands play with me I feel a shock in my body. I turn around wuickly and starts to hurl everything that I have drank in the last day. When everything is on the floor, the smeel don’t even bother me, but the warmth is gone. I hear a car crash outside, police’s sirens and something that sound like a gunfight. Then I fall asleep. All day pass. The sun run in the sky and I never saw it.

And when I wake up in the middle of the night I feel dizzy. First thing I do is to start burning a cigarette…

Next week's topic:
Wumpscut - Witches Dance

SO three quick tings this week
First - So here is this week topic... so we try music as a topic for the first time... of crouse there is no lyrics to this song cause i donT' want people to be influence by them... i guess you could say this song is a kind of techno... i guess.... really dunno what we'll get out of it.. but i thought that we had to give it a try at least once... so the due date is next dunday of crouse... but if people think that they may need a bit more time than a week jus ttell me and we'll give it a two weeks work... i have to admit that i find it quite hard in fact.

Second - I am curious and i want to know if there is any people that actually read the submission every week but don't submit themself? It's really out of curiosity cause i rememeber Supraguy once telling that he was often reading but wasn't submitting much. So iw ant to know if there is other that do it. ... Honestly i don't expect to have a lot of answer on this one lol

And third and not the least - Obvisouly thank to everyone that have been submitting this week. No one tell you enough how amazing your works are.

Exercise in Creativity

PostPosted: 
SupraGuy (#92823)

@ Annuniel: Very cool. It is said that when one sense is removed the other grow sharper to compensate. Sometimes it takes the removal of a sense to appreciate the others. I was once in an accident where I got struck on the back of the head very hard, and spent a bit over a day being blind. At the time it was terrifying. Once the swelling went down though, my sight returned, none the worse for wear. While my experience was different from your story, the story still touched on my memory. In the end I learned to appreciate the other senses that I have for that short period of being without one.

Have you read the Rules? How about the FAQ? If not, why not?

Anime Girls Character Battle Results!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message 
shireen (#57486)
AnimeNfo Overlord

Yay Very Happy

Well it took me a while to get through them Very Happy But all of the submissions this week were very very good Very Happy

@Annuniel: That was a really interesting read. It actually to me a while before I understood that you were writing about a person who went blind. I thought that the experiences you wrote brought out a whole new fresh perspective on blindness, and to a certain extent really enlightenened me Very Happy Great work Very Happy

@Sumomo: A nice piece too Very Happy I first thought it was a poem but then I noticed it wasn't. I like the concept actually, it's very interesting. I wonder what kind of shadows these are Razz They seems really cool. Good job Very Happy

@Rosepetals: The one thing that I will forever admire about your pieces is your ability to describe a normal object or situation in a most beautiful and unique way Very Happy You did that in this piece too Very Happy I like your main character, even though he seems a tad dark and too fond of the darkness for his own good (almost like a vampire Razz ) he still seems like a good fellow and quite interesting too. I especially loved your description of the storm Very Happy Great work Very Happy

@Acide Bob: I see we're back to our normal dark pieces Razz A very interesting piece none the less Very Happy Shows how horribly drugs and alcohol can mess you up. A good message in slightly sad story. Good job Very Happy

Also I must say the idea of us using a song is really brilliant!! I'm in the process of downloading it right now Very Happy Hopefully I'll be able to think up something good Very Happy It's an awesome idea Very Happy

PostPosted: 
Rosepetals (#42525)
AnimeNfo Site Staff

I figure it wouldn't be a good week unless I saw acide_bob's characteristic "w00t_texts" Smile Love the idea of using a song to spark a piece of writing, especially the one acide put up this week since it fits the Halloween theme. Very nice and creative as well.

I'm listening to it at the moment on my mp3 player and find it interesting; there are a lot of different ideas turning up in my head with this Twisted Evil

The stories this week are excellent, and quite a nice turnout at that, lets see if we can get more in the coming week.

@Annûniel That's really a potent portrayal of the darkness, and I like the fact that you gave it a spin on showing things that are obscured by light, and even portrays it as the true "mask". Very well presented in terms of diction and overall description.

@Sumomo In brevity, you can communicate more ideas than a page of words. I think that idea aptly describes your piece this week, and I found it interesting. How the darkness seems to melt over the things you describe, and yet a menacing apsect about it that lingers, that "predator" you identify is quite well portrayed in the senses and scenes of the night. I love the lines "My eyes are my weapon./The scents are my lead."

@Shireen a poem and a story = awesomeness Smile For the poem, it was quite lovely in terms of meaning/foreshadowing with a good rhyme scheme and flow. And your description of the lovers Shania and Nishit were potently done. I like how you have the night setting and the descriptions of the characters vividly stated. Overall, well done.

@acide_bob When I read your piece, the image of that cigarette still burned in my mind, and I think it went far beyond the repeating image, but within the context of the potent description for this week; like Shireen mentioned, it's a dark piece with an interesting senario. I really liked your use of description, it has a dark, potent seductive nature to it, yet a bold honesty that doesn't bite back its tongue. Of course, it tells you that drugs can play some nasty tricks on your mind. It's a feeling of reality within the induced "high" that works in transition. Definitely impressed on this one.

-Rie Fu

Reviews

PostPosted: 
Sumomo (#45447)
AnimeNfo Juggernaut

Thanks Rosepetals, but I'm not sure what you mean by brevity?
I'll comment on the entries when I get the time Smile

My Deviant Art

PostPosted: 
Display_posts:   Sort_by:   
 Posts_count   Goto_page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Forum_index » Writer's Block
Jump_to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot