Forum_index » AnimeNfo Radio
Ever thought about Vorbis?
Moderators: AnimeNfo Forum Moderator, Radio Moderation
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Posts_count  
Nazo (#86375)
AnimeNfo Scout

Ever thought about Vorbis?

You probably already have thought about it and discarded it, but, I'm just curious if you have ever thought about Vorbis (aka the OGG file format.) Supposedly it can get the same quality out of a lower bitrate, meaning you could theoretically either use a lower bitrate for the audio on a server running it or, instead, use the same bitrate and get better quality.

And yeah, I realize the disadvantages of this (such as the source.) It may not be a viable option, I just wondered if it was or not and if it had even been considered since so few seem to (and a surprising number of people seem to not even know what it is.)

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message    Back_to_top 
supers (#18821)
AnimeNfo Site Administrator

Yes, I've already tried it using IceCast, it didnt work well.

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message MSNM    Back_to_top 
Doff (#45012)
AnimeNfo Radio Administrator

I've tested it using shoutcast, and that didn't work too well either...
If we're changing to somethig else than lame mp3 as we're using now it's going to be mp3pro, but dunno about that either... can always do some tests and check different formats out...

Lame mp3 is easiest to use and it works for most people Smile

www.animenfo.com/radio --------< Listen!

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website AIM MSNM    Back_to_top 
Nazo (#86375)
AnimeNfo Scout

Ok. Just curious. Personally, I'd like to see Vorbis get around a bit more, but, not at the cost of causing problems. Besides, it doesn't take too well to transcoding MP3s into Vorbis. The two very different encodings put together make for some serious artifacts sometimes. I'm guessing that all your original sources are in the MP3 format (ok, just guessing, but, it seems likely to me at least. I'm not an audiophile so I can only say that some sounded reencoded and that might have just been a bad source.)

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message    Back_to_top 
Cessen (#89405)
AnimeNfo Peasant

I'm a big fan of Ogg Vorbis (my entire music library is encoded in it), but it would be silly to switch over to it for a radio station. It may be a superior format to mp3s from a technical standpoint, but it's just not nearly as widely supported as mp3.

You really have to stick with the lowest common denominator for something like a radio station, and that means good ol' fashioned mp3.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having a single Ogg Vorbis server, though. I would definitely prefer it over mp3pro (I prefer open standards over proprietary ones).

PostPosted: 
  Read_profile Send_private_message Visit_website    Back_to_top 
Display_posts:   Sort_by:   
 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topicView_next_topic
 Forum_index » AnimeNfo Radio
Jump_to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot